Using a tablet with the Axe-Fx 3 questions

BaronVonGrim

Power User
Was watching Axefest... folks are using tablets.
I currently use no computer in association with the Axe. I dont want to put myself through that learning curve. But its calling to me.
Axe Edit would be nice of course.... not there yet.... I use the units interface.
Would be nice to play along with backing tracks...

I guess the tablet is a easier and cheaper alternative to macbook pro?

How easy is it... using the tablet.

I plugs into the 3? Or are they running it thru something first.

Are they using DAW with those tablets?

There using Apple? Which one?

Is there any link to help me get started with that?

Ty

If I'm not mistaken, the tablet they were using was a Surface Pro, which is a PC. Axe-Edit currently isn't available for the iPad or Android tablets.

I currently use no computer in association with the Axe. I dont want to put myself through that learning curve. But its calling to me.
Axe Edit would be nice of course.... not there yet.... I use the units interface.

Ty
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...xe-fx-ii-xl-xl-ax8-fx8-and-axe-fx-iii.120946/

You can plug an iOS device into the usb port using the camera adapter kit, which will transfer midi and audio. I played around with the idea using the Lemur midi app, and a few different audio apps like Flux:fx. I never got serious enough with it to gig with it. In particular, I never sussed out the audio ins and outs. As far as dedicated control, I believe Fracpad would be the way to go as far as editing and the like is concerned.

I see.

It's not a tablet... it's a PC.

Tablets are like cell phones...using android.. etc.

So the surface pro is probably a good idea for these guys who are traveling...etc.

So I'm back to square one.

I can get a laptop and plug it into the 3? And use the monitors I'm already using?
I've read somewhere you can do this?

I can get a laptop and plug it into the 3? And use the monitors I'm already using?
I've read somewhere you can do this?

Yes, a laptop with a USB port. Axe Edit itself should run fine on just about any laptop from the last 10 years, nothing fancy. Makes firmware updating and preset/IR loading easy.

That said, I would really love an official iOS/Android Axe Edit, but I don’t think one is planned.

Ty
About DAW, on the iPad you have a plenty of options and all of them are really good. I personally tested GarageBand, Cubasis and Auria Pro. The last is by far my favourite. There's always rumours about Apple bringing Logic Pro to the iPad, and now that both Mac and iPad share the same architecture (M1) this wouldn't be unexpected, however so far it's nothing but rumours and wishes.

But any of these DAWs will work with AxeFx III through a lightning <-> USB adapter (CCK - Camera Connection Kit) or probably directly with USB hubs for the iPads that have USB-C. It will allow you to use the 8x8 interface of your AxeFx III for audio in/out, as well as MIDI (patch change automation, for example). This is how I practice normally, and it's very convenient. I guess you could run an entire show with backing tracks in a single project in Auria Pro, automation and everything, but I think for this case there are better apps like "Multitracker 2.2".

About DAW, on the iPad you have a plenty of options and all of them are really good. I personally tested GarageBand, Cubasis and Auria Pro. The last is by far my favourite. There's always rumours about Apple bringing Logic Pro to the iPad, and now that both Mac and iPad share the same architecture (M1) this wouldn't be unexpected, however so far it's nothing but rumours and wishes.

But any of these DAWs will work with AxeFx III through a lightning <-> USB adapter (CCK - Camera Connection Kit) or probably directly with USB hubs for the iPads that have USB-C. It will allow you to use the 8x8 interface of your AxeFx III for audio in/out, as well as MIDI (patch change automation, for example). This is how I practice normally, and it's very convenient. I guess you could run an entire show with backing tracks in a single project in Auria Pro, automation and everything, but I think for this case there are better apps like "Multitracker 2.2".
Hi Luiz.
For Patch change automation in MIDI, are you using the USB to do this or a Midi to USB device ?
I'm trying to find out how to change scenes automatically through a DAW.
If you have any ideas :)
Thank you

Hi Luiz.
For Patch change automation in MIDI, are you using the USB to do this or a Midi to USB device ?
I'm trying to find out how to change scenes automatically through a DAW.
If you have any ideas :)
Thank you
IIRC, you have to tell the Fractal device which CC number to listen on, then send values 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7 on that CC to access scenes 1-8. Any value higher than 7 is reduced to the 0-7 range by doing modulo division by 8....

Back
Top Bottom