using a strymon delay in axe fx loop feedback issues

monkeyrg570

Hi , would you be able to help with a fx loop issue I seem to have , it sounds like there is delay feeding back into the block and a sqealing too ...Ive changed a few settings in the outut io and the output 2 is not too high ....I might just give up as the axe delays are awesome anyway ..or use the delay via the output then straight into recording desk ...shame ;(

Sure, I'm using the timeline in the loop without issue.

What are your settings for output 2 knob, A/D input2, input 2 mode, output 2 mode, output 2 boost/pad?

Are you running stereo or mono? where are you placing the Fx loop in the Axe-fx chain? What settings are you using in the fx loop block?

I'm a fool lol ..had the return going into input 1 at the back of the axe.....then to really do me , I was only getting a mono left back , , had to reset the io output (lil ol bug there ) ...I wish there was a comprehensive video for the axe ...

Hi, I notice a loss of quality when including Strymon Mobius and Timeline into the Axe-FX II FX loop. When I enable the FX loop (and bypass both Strymon Mobius and Timeline), the sound of any Axe-FX II preset gets worse (as compared with FX loop disabled in Axe Edit), like loosing bright. I have tested FX loop in series and in parallel in different Axe presets.
I use Stereo settings for both Axe IN2 and OUT2, 0 dB OUT2 Pad.
Did you had this problem?
Is this routing ok?
AXE OUT2 (STEREO) -> Mobius IN -> Mobius OUT -> Timeline IN -> Timeline OUT -> AXE IN2 (STEREO)

Nope, it sounds fine here. Do you have it set so when you bypass the effects loop, the levels stays the same?

You are right! By matching the levels is better now. Also, with Strymon Timeline alone in Axe-Fx II FX loop the degradation is reasonable.

I guess the cables and the extra stage are enough reason for the loss of quality: Axe OUT2 D/A->Mobius A/D->Mobius D/A->Timeline A/D->Timeline D/A->Axe IN2 A/D

That´s why is better to have everything in the Axe-FX... 8o)

More or less the FX are on par between the Axe and Strymon, but I still couldn´t tweak Axe for some of Strymon patches. Strymon also has the advantage of running the algorithms in a single Sharc processor with one FX at a time (big limitation in Strymon boxes). Axe FX has a Tiger Sharc (which is much better) but running multiple simultaneous FX.

You are right! By matching the levels is better now. Also, with Strymon Timeline alone in Axe-Fx II FX loop the degradation is reasonable.

I guess the cables and the extra stage are enough reason for the loss of quality: Axe OUT2 D/A->Mobius A/D->Mobius D/A->Timeline A/D->Timeline D/A->Axe IN2 A/D

That´s why is better to have everything in the Axe-FX... 8o)

More or less the FX are on par between the Axe and Strymon, but I still couldn´t tweak Axe for some of Strymon patches. Strymon also has the advantage of running the algorithms in a single Sharc processor with one FX at a time (big limitation in Strymon boxes). Axe FX has a Tiger Sharc (which is much better) but running multiple simultaneous FX.

I imagine if you worked on the gain staging a bit to get the best SNR through the A/D converters, the loss of quality would be minimal.

Thanks for your good and quick support! Finally I set 3dB in OUT2 Boost/Pad and also set the FX loop levels (-6 dB at Main and +12 dB at Level). With this, the loss of quality is almost not noticeable.

BTW, I had another big issue with the Axe preset, as the FX loop was in parallel with a shunt, so when bypassing (TRUBYPASS) the Strymon boxes (but with FX loop ON in the Axe), the loss of quality was huge. Not sure why, maybe the shunt has 0 ms latency while there should be a relevant latency added by Strymon (tried both with TRUBYPASS and BUFBYPASS) and this causing a phase problem while adding both signals in the Axe. I just removed the shunt in the patch and wow! I´m very happy with the quality now... 8o)

Thanks Javajunkie! I'm not really sure how to hook it up. Do I just use the Midi in/out on the MFC and the Strymon?

you could do that, but generally I go MIDI Thru out the axe-fx into the timeline. I have them on different MIDI channels. There are several different ways to control it via MIDI. For a simple patch change you just have the MFC send a patch change command on the MIDI channel you have the Timeline set to.

I realize I am late on this...but can you use the MARK III to change banks on the STRYMONS! I just bought a Timeline and Big SKY and I am trying to figure this out properly

Back
Top Bottom