Using a pre-amp in the Effect Loop

Larry Norton

OK, so my rig used to be TriAxis (preamp) to TC G-Major (Effects Processor) to Mesa Boogie 2:100 (Power- Amp). This is all in one rack and is about 87 pounds.
I purchased the AXE-FX to lighten the load and to explore other sounds.
This is my problem, I want to add the TriAxis into the FX-Loop so that I can use it's preamp for some patches and use the AXE-FX amp models for other. Simple enough right. So I plugged in the TriAxis getting it's input from Output 2 and the TriAxis output return to Input 2 of the AXE-FX.
Did not get the result I was hoping for. Everything changed. I expected that if the FX-Loop was not in the change, there would be no effect on the sound, but there was. It is as if having the TriAxis in the FX-Loop was still in the sound.
So what did I not set correctly and why does the FX-Loop effect the sound when the block is not in the patch?
Thanks for any help

Are you bypassing the FX Loop or completely deleting it from your patch? Without the FX Loop block, there's no way for your Triaxis to get into Output 1.

The FX-Loop Block is completely out of the patches with amp blocks. I would think the same thing, that there should no be any signal going to output 2 when the block is not present.

If you've set Output 2 to echo Output 1, you'll still get signal at Output 2 when there's no FX Loop present.

I came from a Triaxis, TC GMajor 2 and Mesa 2:90. IMHO, you won't need the Triaxis. You will be able to duplicate pretty much every sound you had. Start by using the Triaxis amp block with a mesa type V-30 4 12 cab block, or I use one of the greenback cabs. If you play with the amp block settings and the amp block's EQ, you will be amazed. I used my Triaxis as a reference for my ears and was able to get my main 10 presets transferred over, including effects, WAH, compression, gate, pitch for harmony, etc..

I am curious as to how the triaxis works in the effect loop? I have one but never thought to combine the two..
I tried it and it works fine. However, I was able to match all my tones with little effort, (pretty much used ld2 yellow and red), so I felt I didn't need both units. And my rack is lighter.

Back
Top Bottom