Using a non latching pedal to control scenes?

theo

Experienced
Hey guys,

I'm taking my axe fx 2 out on tour with me in the coming months and I have a couple of questions.
I'm using a boss FS-5U to swap my tones, I only need a rhythm and a lead so that's nice and easy.

But at the moment I can only figure out how to make it cycle between all 8 scenes, whilst that does work if I program my odd numbered scenes to be rhythm and the odd scenes to be lead it's a little messy and I'd prefer to swap between just scene 1 and 2.

My next question is optimising scenes for minimal delay when swapping? Currently there's a noticeable cutout when swapping between the two and that's a little annoying when playing live, I'd like to make is as seamless as possible. All I'm doing is swapping a few blocks between x and y and engaging a series delay and reverb.

You can get the patch here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2f4ymw3hin5cl5c/Hollow-World-Recto-FW19b2.syx?dl=0

Thanks in advance guys :)

EDIT: this was made on FW 19b2

Swapping X/Y states will usually result in a slight, yet still noticeable, cut-out in sound.

What parameters are you changing exactly between X/Y state? Can it be achieved using Scene Controllers? This is 100% seamless.

I find that if you must change X/Y states, keeping the same effect but with different parameters yields the least noticeable cut-out in sound. i.e. Swapping between the same Vox amp just with different knob settings.

I was changing a pedal and an amp. I can get away with not doing that and just engaging the reverb and delay though.

If that's the case will swapping between bypassed and engaged be best or is there a way to control the mix dial using my momentary pedal?

If you have a simple (relatively low CPU) chain, my recommendation is to build parallel chains and just bypass one chain entirely in Scene 1, the other in Scene 2. Allowing for blocks that have to be in series etc, of course.

This results in basically wholly presets (different Drive, different Amp, different Cab, Phaser on only one, etc), but with seamless switching due to no X/Y states.

Got a resolution. I scrapped my x y blocks and set the bypass state of reverb, delay and a volume block to be controlled by my pedal. Works fantastically.

Back
Top Bottom