Using a metal pick made my III sound way better

I had a weird experience once - I used to use Jazz III's religiously, but then I woke up one day and couldn't use them anymore. I found them tiny and fiddly and struggled to play! I switched to the Tortex .73 pick and never looked back. Then I saw you could get them with the Jazz III tip, and so I got those.

Fingers are a fickle lady!

To be honest - I think many of us could think about this; if you gave an Axe FX 2 to SRV or whoever you think is a great player. How would his playing sound through the Axe FX 2? Would it sound better than your playing through your current rig? I know I have the Axe 3 MK 2 Turbo, and SRV would sound so much better through a f'in Micro Cube, haha.

I just think many people are far too reared towards analyzing the results they're getting through the gear they have, and not the playing itself. And this isn't a stab at anybody, I'm basically writing this message for myself and thinking out loud :laughing:

Being self taught I learned to pick with absolutely zero string skipping, some people may call it economy picking, Frank Gambale calls it sweep picking
I thought it was the other way around - I recall Frank's books referring to economy picking while others tended to call it sweep picking.

Maybe I'm wrong because those days were long ago... ;)

I thought it was the other way around - I recall Frank's books referring to economy picking while others tended to call it sweep picking.
That's my recollection also.

And string sweeping is not the same as string skipping. String skipping is actually jumping or picking over strings (skipping them), not sweeping through them.

Maybe I'm wrong because those days were long ago... ;)
Here's a book I have by FB... calling it speed picking is just a sales tactic really. He also referred to it as sweep picking, but mostly speed apparently. And of course everyone in those days would argue over what he does or doesn't do and who calls what etc... well I met him in Modesto in the 90's and told him what I do and he said that is what he does as well, so that was cool to hear it from his own mouth... and yet I probably picked up this book after that to check it out and if you look through it he has an exercise that skips over a string to create a sweep that I would not do, so not sure why he would do it unless he was just trying to create something with more sweepy movements in it, so I lost interest in it as soon as I saw it. I almost always start on a down stroke but would 99.9% never skip a string to make something happen, if my hand is moving that way I hit it.

And then of course I have an Al Dimeola video where he trashes this kind of picking as a fad that will fade away, and literally the very next exercise he does he states that it's impossible to alternate it so he sweeps a couple strings to make it work. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Crazy how people don't just let somebody be themselves.

PS.... then there's the Yngwie video that states that he uses a variety of picking techniques and they're
none of your business LOLOL

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_9623.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9623.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 7
I always buy several different picks when I order something from Sweetwater. I like them all but these are my favorites... going to have to try some metal ones someday. I didn't know they still sold them.
23558060012.MAIN__26370.1576897700.jpg

Here's a book I have by FB... calling it speed picking is just a sales tactic really. He also referred to it as sweep picking, but mostly speed apparently. And of course everyone in those days would argue over what he does or doesn't do and who calls what etc... well I met him in Modesto in the 90's and told him what I do and he said that is what he does as well, so that was cool to hear it from his own mouth... and yet I probably picked up this book after that to check it out and if you look through it he has an exercise that skips over a string to create a sweep that I would not do, so not sure why he would do it unless he was just trying to create something with more sweepy movements in it, so I lost interest in it as soon as I saw it. I almost always start on a down stroke but would 99.9% never skip a string to make something happen, if my hand is moving that way I hit it.

And then of course I have an Al Dimeola video where he trashes this kind of picking as a fad that will fade away, and literally the very next exercise he does he states that it's impossible to alternate it so he sweeps a couple strings to make it work. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Crazy how people don't just let somebody be themselves.

PS.... then there's the Yngwie video that states that he uses a variety of picking techniques and they're
none of your business LOLOL
I think that's the same book I had :)

Bought a metal pick, used it for a minute and never touched it again. Same thing with a wood pick. BTW, Ed said he got cancer from playing a metal pick and not chain smoking. Don't know about that.

Bought a metal pick, used it for a minute and never touched it again. Same thing with a wood pick. BTW, Ed said he got cancer from playing a metal pick and not chain smoking. Don't know about that.
Pretty sure Ed was in denial. He said he got tongue cancer from a metal pick, not the 10 packs of cigarettes he smoked every day for 40-50 years. He had lung cancer when he died, and I highly doubt a metal pick caused that.

I watched a video with Phil Collen talking up metal picks so I thought I'd give it a try and bought some brass Dunlop Tetrapicks. I can't believe what a difference it made for me personally. Using those picks opened up my tone so much and the unit sounds so much better.
Not better, different. Dull, open... Those things don't mean anything cause they are subjective. We should learn to leave adjectives out of sound talk cause they are meaningless. I bet your great new sound would horrify a good number of people on this forum and same for whatever I sound like.

Back
Top Bottom