Using a Matrix and a real cab Marshall 2x12

Veloso1978

Inspired
Hi everyone
I’m using my Axe Fx2 xl plus with my Matrix 1000 and a real cab from Marshall... What a good sound using the output 1 to the FOH and the output 2 to my Matrix and my cab Marshall to ear on the stage...
I think it’s a good idea people sharing good presets for that condition.
What you guys thinking ?
Cheers from you buddy Filipe from Portugal.

I’d be happy to share mine next time I’m around my axe, won’t be until about a week from now. That said, the trouble with sharing presets for traditional cabs is how astoundingly different they sound through different cabs. My presets are set up for a Vader 2x12 with eminence legends. Your Marshall cab is probably going have v30’s or some other celestion. There’s a chance that’ll it’ll still sound good, but you’ll probably need at least some amount of eq tweaking. That’s probably a lot of why presets for this type of setup are harder to find.

I also have the matrix gt1000 and at home I have 2 nl 1/12s I use but when I go to the jam space I use a Marshall 4/12 cab and it still sounds great! Some presets don’t sound as good as others but the Friedman amps sounds great through the Marshall cab. I don’t even tweak anymore.

Like ChainOfThought said, no point in sharing presets if you have a real cab.

I have this same setup and I love it. In my opinion, the ideal preset is to have the Cab block the very last block in the chain which goes to Output 1. Then have an FX Loop block (or FX Send? I can't remember) coming off of that main signal right before the cab block. Have all of the delays, reverbs, time-based effects after the Amp block but before the Cab and FX Loop/Send blocks.

Looks like this pretty much (This isn't my patch, btw. Just some random Google Image that I Photoshopped a little):

1565620771604.png

Like ChainOfThought said, no point in sharing presets if you have a real cab.

I have this same setup and I love it. In my opinion, the ideal preset is to have the Cab block the very last block in the chain which goes to Output 1. Then have an FX Loop block (or FX Send? I can't remember) coming off of that main signal right before the cab block. Have all of the delays, reverbs, time-based effects after the Amp block but before the Cab and FX Loop/Send blocks.

Looks like this pretty much (This isn't my patch, btw. Just some random Google Image that I Photoshopped a little):

View attachment 57336
That’s i make mine presets...👍

I also have the matrix gt1000 and at home I have 2 nl 1/12s I use but when I go to the jam space I use a Marshall 4/12 cab and it still sounds great! Some presets don’t sound as good as others but the Friedman amps sounds great through the Marshall cab. I don’t even tweak anymore.
Do you have experience with an real cab and a tubepoweramp? How would you compare the Matrix GT 1000 FX and a Tubepoweramp (both with real cabs)?

Do you have experience with an real cab and a tubepoweramp? How would you compare the Matrix GT 1000 FX and a Tubepoweramp (both with real cabs)?
Yes I have a EVH 5150 50 watt head with 2/12 cab and a Marshall combo. The 5150 is absolutely a killer amp especially with single coils/p 90s. Probably the best tube amp I’ve ever owned and I’ve had quite a few. With that said my les Paul through the axe and matrix is probably the best sound I’ve ever heard. It brings a big smile to my face every time I crank it. I don’t know why everyone sells all there gear when they buy a axe fx. I love the option of having both. I just pick and choose what I will play through for that night and I always have a great sound.

Answering this from my experience. The Matrix GT 1000 FX is the only solid state power amp that sounded as good or better than my Mesa 2:90 tube power amp. It also allowed the amp models to sound more unique vs the tube power amp coloring the sound more.

I also play like this, except I use a 4x12 cab.

What's important imho is to adjust the sound with the real cab and then find (or mix) an IR that works for FOH.

The IR doesn't necessarily have to be shot with the same cab / speakers. I for example play a Marshall cab with 2 Greenbacks and 2 V30 (China), but the IR is a mix of mostly Mesa 4x12 with V30 (England). So they aren't completely different, yes, but certainly not the same. And it works perfectly :)

Yes I have a EVH 5150 50 watt head with 2/12 cab and a Marshall combo. The 5150 is absolutely a killer amp especially with single coils/p 90s. Probably the best tube amp I’ve ever owned and I’ve had quite a few. With that said my les Paul through the axe and matrix is probably the best sound I’ve ever heard. It brings a big smile to my face every time I crank it. I don’t know why everyone sells all there gear when they buy a axe fx. I love the option of having both. I just pick and choose what I will play through for that night and I always have a great sound.

I reckon most guys don't feel the need to keep stuff around they no longer need. I understand the sentiment. Stuff can clutter, both physically and/or mentally. Then again I'm firmly on your side too. It's good to have options in case you still want too. And more is more. :sunglasses:

Back
Top Bottom