Using a FC-12 OR a FC-6 on an Axe-Fx III

MikeD

Inspired
Hi all, I have been searching on this (forum and manual) but have not found a definitive answer for the following:

I have and Axe III and use it with an FC12. I have been considering getting an FC6 as well to use at gigs when floor space is an issue and also to pair with the FM3 down the road.

My question: what happens if I plug an FC6 into my Axe III configured for the FC12 ?
  • will the FC6 operate as the FC12 just with paging ?
  • do I need to create a separate set of presets for the FC6
  • is it a one OR the other scenario ?

The FC-6 will use the same layouts as the FC-12, but it will only display half of the switches: either 1-2-3-4-5-6 or 1-2-3-7-8-9, depending on whether you’ve got Compatibility Mode turned on.

You could go with different layouts for each device, or different presets with different Per-Preset Overrides, or just keep the same layouts and accept that you won’t be able to display all the footswitches when you’re runing an FC-6.

i've asked for a better transition from FC6 to FC12 on different gigs. currently, the best way i figured out is to export your FC12 layout, then make a new FC6 layout - since the fewer buttons usually means different choices. then export that. before the gig, use Axe-Edit to load the correct layout set you need, 6 or 12.

lately however, i've just reset the FC at the gig and setup what i need quickly. that usually means a single layout, maybe 2 for the FC6, and about 15 minutes of programming time before the gig. not ideal.

i'd like to be able to save something like FC#1 is your FC12, then FC#2 (usually the 2nd physical FC connected by chaining them) can be the FC6 setup, and we can just choose which FC# to use at the time. the axe already saves them per #, we just need access to that.

Last edited:
i'd like to be able to save something like FC#1 is your FC12, then FC#2 (usually the 2nd physical FC connected by chaining them) can be the FC6 setup, and we can just choose which FC# to use at the time. the axe already saves them per #, we just need access to that.

I like that but I don't think it would really work. What I mean is that no matter how many FCs you have, the total number of layouts is 9 (8+1). So why don't you program Layouts 6, 7 and 8 (for example) to be your FC6 layouts. Then all you have to do is turn to the layout you want when you power up and you're set.

I like that but I don't think it would really work. What I mean is that no matter how many FCs you have, the total number of layouts is 9 (8+1). So why don't you program Layouts 6, 7 and 8 (for example) to be your FC6 layouts. Then all you have to do is turn to the layout you want when you power up and you're set.
that could work too.

but each FC has its own layout set i thought? FC#1 has 9, FC#2 has its own 9, etc. right?

That’s what I do. It’s the most effective of the available compromises.

but each FC has its own layout set i thought? FC#1 has 9, FC#2 has its own 9, etc. right?
Nope. One set of layouts to rule them all. But each FC# gets its own default layout, which can be any one of the nine available.

A while back, I suggested autodetection of what model of FC is currently connected, and a set of layouts for each model. @BryantP said that would be a bit hairy to implement. I still wish for that, though. My initial hopes of seamless switching between FC-6 and FC-12 have been tempered by the realization that, with the current capabilities, I might be better off just choosing between a 6 or a 12, and sticking with that choice.

A while back, I suggested autodetection of what model of FC is currently connected, and a set of layouts for each model. @BryantP said that would be a bit hairy to implement. I still wish for that, though. My initial hopes of seamless switching between FC-6 and FC-12 have been tempered by the realization that, with the current capabilities, I might be better off just choosing between a 6 or a 12, and sticking with that choice.

I have both the 6 and 12 and will soon have the FM3 too to set up. My ideal set up for the 3 will be to have a Layout set for use with the 3 alone and one with the 6. The idea being that I have a scalable rig. Fly dates, FM3 alone. Small gigs FM3 with FC6. Bigger gigs Axe III with 12.

I have not found yet a use for III with FC 6. Any stage small enough to not be able to accommodate the FC12 will not need anything else than the FM3.

And by the way, on these "medium gigs" I plan on using the FM3 as a backline unit and only have the FC 6 in front of me. Less clutter.

I am soon going to have a 6 and a 12, along with a new AxeFX3 to replace the one the lightning zapped last Wednesday. If experimentation with a split footswitch arrangement with controllers in the middle goes well, I will likely trade the 12 for a second 6. All 12 buttons off to one side makes for a long stretch, and my balance ain't what it used to be, which wasn't all that and a bag of chips to begin with....

Back
Top Bottom