Using a conventional guitar cab and speaker.

neale dunham

Experienced
When using the Axe 3 purely as a pre-amp. With separate Power amp and conventional Guitar speakers.

Should the speaker imp. curve on the speaker page in the Amp Block be set to Resistive Load and the Cab Resonance set to zero %. ?

Otherwise, do I run the risk of sending "unnecessary" or conflicting information from the Axe fx Speaker page to the real world speaker?

If you're using a tube power amp, yes.
But if you turn off P.A. modeling that's not necessary

I also suggest to turn off speaker comp and speaker drive and playing around with the supply sag parameter, you might want to reduce it since your real power amp will probably add its own compression

Interesting you should mention supply sag....

I am using a Fryette Powerstation which is recommended as a very neutral sounding amp with minimal coloration?

Interesting you should mention supply sag....

I am using a Fryette Powerstation which is recommended as a very neutral sounding amp with minimal coloration?
I've never played a powerstation but I guess even hat will compress after a certain volume threshold

Yes, I suspect it probably would.

Is it best to reduce sag to a minimal value? As I think turning it off disables the pa modelling, and I would like to preserve as much of the characteristics as possible?

I think it's best to experiment with it till it feels right to you, it would not be easy to quantify the amount of sag the powerstation introduces

Ears may vary, but even though it seems intuitive to turn p.a. off while powering guitar cab with real tubes, I've ALWAYS found better results with p.a. on and various degrees of sag. Simply more natural and amp-like. My 2-bits.

In the case of setups (like mine) whereby the signal is routed to both a Power Amp & cab (with guitar speakers) and also direct FRFR to monitors/PA simultaneously (via Outputs 1 & 2), then it's sort of unavoidable. However i've found this not to be an issue sonically with regards to the Amp & Cab.

If it helps at all, I never run my power-amp more than just over half way?

I would like to think that's well within the limits before sagging the transformer, but would like to be corrected if a anyone has a superior knowledge in this area?

Back
Top Bottom