using a 2nd FRFR facing backwards to get more of an "amp in the room" vibe

dschaaf

Experienced
Just wondering if anyone is using a 2nd FRFR speaker facing backwards cast some sound and create even more of an "amp in the room" vibe. I know there are many situations when this would not be applicable but I am only a home studio player at the moment and just trying to recreate the feel that I get with my open back 2x12's.

Thanks,
D

Hey Yek,

Yes I was thinking the primary FRFR facing you as normal with a 2nd one behind the first one facing in the reverse direction to have sounds reflect similar to an open back cab?

Thanks,
D

I’ve done it, and it works, but it works best with a second speaker using a rear mic’d IR, or a far-field

Just playing a normal front mic “backwards” doesn’t really sound right

Not exactly worth the trouble in most cases but it does sound pretty good within the room

I’ve done it, and it works, but it works best with a second speaker using a rear mic’d IR, or a far-field

Just playing a normal front mic “backwards” doesn’t really sound right

Not exactly worth the trouble in most cases but it does sound pretty good within the room
Cool thanks! Yes I had meant to add that I would plan to use a "rear" or FF IR.

Thanks for the info.

D

Sounds like you need a flat amp to drive your 2x12’s
(In addition to studio monitors for when you want can sims)

Sounds like you need a flat amp to drive your 2x12’s
(In addition to studio monitors for when you want can sims)
I use a (flat) Matrix GT1000FX with my cabs (cab sim's off) and it sounds absolutely stellar! I have Adam A7x's for my studio monitors (with cab sims) and it too sounds great but a studio experience. I was wanting to get a live in the room vibe with FRFR (as opposed to using my open back cabs) which was why I was wondering about the setup described. I presently have Yamaha DXR12's, EV ELX112P's, a Matrix FR212 and Atomic CLR's (original version) for my FRFR output but just trying to get them to have the same amp in the room feeling/vibe.

Thx
D

I use a (flat) Matrix GT1000FX with my cabs (cab sim's off) and it sounds absolutely stellar! I have Adam A7x's for my studio monitors (with cab sims) and it too sounds great but a studio experience. I was wanting to get a live in the room vibe with FRFR (as opposed to using my open back cabs) which was why I was wondering about the setup described. I presently have Yamaha DXR12's, EV ELX112P's, a Matrix FR212 and Atomic CLR's (original version) for my FRFR output but just trying to get them to have the same amp in the room feeling/vibe.

Thx
D

I’d be curious as well. Maybe I need larger motors in the frfr.

I keep two 2x12s on a GT1000fx for similar reasons.

My signal paths accommodate both trad cabs and frfr w/ a split before the cab block.

Haven’t yet tried a 8”-12” frfr solution.

Thx
D
Lots of options there, can you put the dxr in a corner and crank it up to 11?
Amps are often loud and you might need volume to make yourself happy.
Also try facing the Yamaha 90* away from your ears, to get that cab facing your knees sound.
Make sure the crossover/monitor switch is off so you have all the low end thump coming through.

You have enough gear I’m sure you’ll find some config you’re happy with

Lots of options there, can you put the dxr in a corner and crank it up to 11?
Amps are often loud and you might need volume to make yourself happy.
Also try facing the Yamaha 90* away from your ears, to get that cab facing your knees sound.
Make sure the crossover/monitor switch is off so you have all the low end thump coming through.

You have enough gear I’m sure you’ll find some config you’re happy with
Excellent thanks Callan, I will give those things a try!

D

Just wondering if anyone is using a 2nd FRFR speaker facing backwards cast some sound and create even more of an "amp in the room" vibe. I know there are many situations when this would not be applicable but I am only a home studio player at the moment and just trying to recreate the feel that I get with my open back 2x12's.

Thanks,
D
For rehearsal with my band I use an Atomic CLR tilted and backward — facing the wall, about 3-4 feet away from it. The sound bounces and spreads around the room, and appears to diffuse more effectively!

For rehearsal with my band I use an Atomic CLR tilted and backward — facing the wall, about 3-4 feet away from it. The sound bounces and spreads around the room, and appears to diffuse more effectively!
Cool, thank you...I will give that a try.

D

I’ve done the same and it can sound “good”, but it’s less accurate. I’ve tweaked patches like this and had it sounding good, but then when I went back to the forward wedge position they were a bit bright....likely would be too bright to PA too

Something to keep in mind

Back
Top Bottom