Using a 1/4" Line to USB Cable

Hello!

I recently bought an AX8 (yay for me!), and am diving into the amp modeling world head first after selling most of my pedals that I used before making the switch. I'm super excited to get my hands on it and mess around with it, but right now the only way I am able to play the AX8 is through my Bugera V22 amp. While this will be fine for dialing in the effects I'm going to be using, it won't help me figure out the amp modeling sound. Now I know about the 4cm however at some point in the future I'm hoping to be able to record the sounds into the Reason DAW, so once I have the funds I'll be purchasing a USB audio interface. In the meantime though, I stumbled across a 1/4" TS to USB connector that is listed on Sweetwater as the "Behringer Line2USB" (I can't link since I'm a new member, which I totally get :)). If I'm able to use something like this, this will not only allow me to record into Reason, but it would also allow me to be able to hear the amp and cab sounds coming from the AX8 so I won't have any surprises when I start plugging this in directly to the house.

So my question is, has anyone tried something like this with any of the Axe-FX products, specifically the AX8? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I think that cable would work as far as getting a signal into Reason, assuming no hiccups with the drivers or anything. How are you going to monitor though? I don't know that tones you dial in using multimedia speakers or headphones will necessarily translate well if you run them direct to FOH.

In my head, headphones would provide a better blank slate for the sounds (as well as being much easier to set up than doing the 4cm), but I could be completely wrong. Regardless of which way I hook it up, I'm going to have to buy another cable (I'm one short to do the 4cm).

In my head, headphones would provide a better blank slate for the sounds (as well as being much easier to set up than doing the 4cm), but I could be completely wrong. Regardless of which way I hook it up, I'm going to have to buy another cable (I'm one short to do the 4cm).
Headphones have their own unique sound and they don’t sound like speakers in a room with air between your ears and the speakers, and sound bouncing around.

Most professional audio people do not mix or create tones with headphones.

I would give the Behringer a try...I wasn’t aware of the product, if it works with minimal latency it would a a boon to many players (and AX8 users!)

Welcome to the .forum and thanks for the tip!

I was only providing insight to your question.

If you want to create a full range tone (something not through guitar-specific amps/cabs) then you need to use a full range setup. If headphones are the only option, then it is the best option.

Sorry I did not mean to have a snarky tone. Don't want to get on the bad side of a mod on my first day!

I just was not sure if going through the 4cm method would provide less color than headphones. If that's my best option until I have the money to spend on powered monitors, then I'll do that :).

Sorry I did not mean to have a snarky tone. Don't want to get on the bad side of a mod on my first day!

I just was not sure if going through the 4cm method would provide less color than headphones. If that's my best option until I have the money to spend on powered monitors, then I'll do that :).
No snark inferred.

The 4CM provides the MOST color because the tone is running through all that analog gear and guitar-tone signal path. Preamp and power amp of the real amp doesn’t change so you aren’t using a bunch of the Fractal tone.

Even if you don’t use the headphones to create live tones, as @chris implied is not optimal, but it is so much fun to hear the incredible stereo FX up close it is worth The investment (and some folk DO tweak their live tones that way, but THe dreaded Fletcher-Munson effect is much more of a factor ....(look it up if unfamiliar)). Everyone will tell you , however , the best way to tweak is at gig level with as much of your actual stage gear as possible.

I don't see anything in the specs for that cable that indicates it has output capability (i.e. to plug your headphones into). It's typically desirable to be able to monitor through the same device that's doing the recording because DAWs tend to be designed to work best with a single audio device at a time and because it allows the device to mix the input audio directly with the output audio, avoiding the roundtrip latency required to pass the input audio through the computer. That cable looks like it would be great for something like pulling audio off a mixer during a live show to record or stream from a PC, but you'd probably have a smoother experience working with a DAW if you spend a few bucks more for one of Behringer's interfaces that have two-way audio and a headphone jack. This is particularly true if you are a beginner and if you wouldn't consider yourself tech savvy enough to work through the issues with getting two independent audio devices (i.e. this cable and your computer's headphone jack) working with one DAW.

Back
Top Bottom