Using 3 powered cabs with the AX8?

jzucker

Experienced
i've been using a pair of alto ts210 cabs with my ax8 and I love them for clean. I tried several big name boutiques and KSC K12 and in the end for jazz and for cleans, I prefer the altos.

I don't want to get into a discussion about how I need to upgrade these speakers. For me, the power to weight ratio is perfect. I have tried the atomic CLR neo and didn't like them so let's not go there.

My question is specifically this.

For the purpose of really loud stage mixes, can I add a 3rd TS210 cabinet to my setup and configure the output so that the 3rd cab is either a stereo-to-mono mix ? Or is it possible to configure the 3rd cab as a wet-only cabinet? (Not sure if this would help the loud stage mix or not without trying it)

For the clubs I play at, they are listening venues with maximum seating of 120 people usually and they have house systems but no on-stage monitors. I do not want to get into carrying 4 cabs so that option is out.

Thanks in advance for on-topic advice...

I am assuming you are using your 2 cabs in stereo already? If not then plug another output from your AX8 into the speaker.

Otherwise you’re asking about a W/W/W setup with the middle W being mono?

In that case you could in theory run a line out from each left and right ts210 (they have 2 inputs and 1 mixed output) to the middle 210. Balance out the level and you would have a stereo to mono mix, which is a completely wet signal.

I have used the ts210 extensively running a second line from an iPad into one input and my AX8 into the other to practice songs.

The AX8 has 2 sets of outputs, right? Use them as makes sense... Assuming it's similar to the Axe Fx, you can set Output 2 Mode to Sum L+R and also set Output 2 to Echo Output 1.

For the purpose of really loud stage mixes, can I add a 3rd TS210 cabinet to my setup and configure the output so that the 3rd cab is either a stereo-to-mono mix

Yes, Go to setup > I/O > Audio > OP-2 copy L-R FYI OP-2 is now a dedicated monitor out for your 3rd cab.

is it possible to configure the 3rd cab as a wet-only cabinet? (Not sure if this would help the loud stage mix or not without trying it)

This is also doable! remove any of the effects you want in OP-2 out of the primary signal chain. Place an FX block after the cab block and those desired effects in that signal chain and it will accomplish this.

Anything in stereo you will want to collapse to a mono effect for the one cab. As to whether or not it will help would depend on placement and volume.

Yes, Go to setup > I/O > Audio > OP-2 copy L-R FYI OP-2 is now a dedicated monitor out for your 3rd cab.
Copy L->R is not quite stereo to mono... It's just half the signal. Using Sum is closer, but either may work better depending on the effects being used.

Copy L->R is not quite stereo to mono... It's just half the signal. Using Sum is closer, but either may work better depending on the effects being used.

In his post he wanted to use the 3rd cab as a wet cab, at the bottom of my post I did recommend collapsing any stereo effects to mono. I suppose he could just leave it in stereo and use the left or right side with the mono effects as well.

In his post he wanted to use the 3rd cab as a wet cab, at the bottom of my post I did recommend collapsing any stereo effects to mono. I suppose he could just leave it in stereo and use the left or right side with the mono effects as well.
Well, to be fair, he asked for two different options. ;)

Taking 1 side of Stereo is still not really stereo to mono, which was his first request. As I said, using the Sum method will get stereo to mono...

I mean all 3 methods will end up being mono... Because there's only 1 signal... But again, except for Sum, the other methods will lose half signal.

thanks, that makes the best sense and allows me to still use the 2nd set of outputs for foh

I am assuming you are using your 2 cabs in stereo already? If not then plug another output from your AX8 into the speaker.

Otherwise you’re asking about a W/W/W setup with the middle W being mono?

In that case you could in theory run a line out from each left and right ts210 (they have 2 inputs and 1 mixed output) to the middle 210. Balance out the level and you would have a stereo to mono mix, which is a completely wet signal.

I have used the ts210 extensively running a second line from an iPad into one input and my AX8 into the other to practice songs.

Excuse me for asking but, wouldn't a MONO cab in between 2 stereo Left/Right cabs sort of negate the stereo separation in some way? Unless, you're standing right in front of the L/R cabs. Which in that case if you're panning hard all the FOH hears is whop, whop, whop. Just wondering.

the only problem is that i use op1 and 2 as my main outs and the xlrs go to the house

This is also doable! remove any of the effects you want in OP-2 out of the primary signal chain. Place an FX block after the cab block and those desired effects in that signal chain and it will accomplish this.

Anything in stereo you will want to collapse to a mono effect for the one cab. As to whether or not it will help would depend on placement and volume.

Apologies for a slightly OT question, but what might be a way to run the usual pair of LR stereo speakers with a mostly dry mono center channel? Running a 3rd cab is an interesting idea, and it got me wondering about all the ways one might try it.

Excuse me for asking but, wouldn't a MONO cab in between 2 stereo Left/Right cabs sort of negate the stereo separation in some way? Unless, you're standing right in front of the L/R cabs. Which in that case if you're panning hard all the FOH hears is whop, whop, whop. Just wondering.

In a monitor or back line siduation, you would want to remove any effects from the mono cab (W/D/W) which is not really necessary with a digital system but does yield some great stage sound!

the only problem is that i use op1 and 2 as my main outs and the xlrs go to the house

One other thought, you would have to change up your signal chains in your presets and your op's.

You could sum L-R in OP-1 (unix-guy is correct), use mono effects after the cab block. Send one side of OP-1 to FOH the other to your single cab on stage. So your basically splitting up OP-1 for FOH and stage monitor dutie with mono effects. It's a little convoluted i know but it does solve both of your problems.

Setting up you would have to dial in your volume in that monitor after you have dialed in FOH levels.

For OP-2 place an Effects loop block after the cab block in a different row there you could set it up for stereo effects or whatever you want. The Delay repeats could be a little tricky if you decided to run a stereo delay in OP-2 and and a mono in OP-1, Chorus and verb you would have to pick which OP you wanted it in as there is only one of each of those effects.

Last but least you could leave it the way you have it now and just daisychain the 3rd cab off of one of the two that are running off of OP-2 and sum L-R.

Back
Top Bottom