Using 2 Matrix NL212s Live

Two questions for you:

- Had you considered getting the FR212 instead or did you specifically want a guitar cab?
- Did you think about getting two 1x12s or were you always set on two 2x12s?

Just curious. I have one NL12 and wonder what the NL212 would sound like.

Very cool! Nice photo by the way. How loud did you have to turn up 1-10? How much headroom do you think you still had with your matrix poweramp?

On that show I was borrowing my other guitarist's GT800FX, and with the gain staging set up, had the Axe FX output to about 11 o'clock. Can't really remember, but I did turn it up a bit during the show.

Now I'm using the 1000 but haven't used it live yet.

Two questions for you:

- Had you considered getting the FR212 instead or did you specifically want a guitar cab?
- Did you think about getting two 1x12s or were you always set on two 2x12s?

Just curious. I have one NL12 and wonder what the NL212 would sound like.

Had the CLR and onstage it wasn't working for me. Since I'm still going direct to FOH, I wanted to have a cab onstage. So far so good.

With the type of shows we play, I felt the 212 was the best fit.

Hope this helps!

Hi pjrake:

If I understand your rig correctly, you're using a SS poweramp and guitar cabs. Accordingly, you have poweramp modelling ON, but cabs sims OFF, right?
I would imagine that you need the cab sims ON for your FOH signal; are you doing that using the FX send?

One other thing, you mentioned feedback.... In my experience, all other things being equal (guitar, gain, volume, etc), an Axe/FRFR rig will not produce controlled feedback-on-demand as easily as a good tube rig (tube pre/power/gtr cab). I think you're saying that your Axe/ss/gtr-cab rig has better feedback performance than an Axe/FRFR rig. That makes sense, but please confirm that I've understood correctly. Finally, do you think that your Axe/ss/gtr-cab configuration provides feedback performance equal to a tube rig, or is it somewhere in between the FRFR and tube rig?

Hope you see this post. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Cheers,
Mack

Hi pjrake:

If I understand your rig correctly, you're using a SS poweramp and guitar cabs. Accordingly, you have poweramp modelling ON, but cabs sims OFF, right?
I would imagine that you need the cab sims ON for your FOH signal; are you doing that using the FX send?

One other thing, you mentioned feedback.... In my experience, all other things being equal (guitar, gain, volume, etc), an Axe/FRFR rig will not produce controlled feedback-on-demand as easily as a good tube rig (tube pre/power/gtr cab). I think you're saying that your Axe/ss/gtr-cab rig has better feedback performance than an Axe/FRFR rig. That makes sense, but please confirm that I've understood correctly. Finally, do you think that your Axe/ss/gtr-cab configuration provides feedback performance equal to a tube rig, or is it somewhere in between the FRFR and tube rig?

Cheers,
Mack

Hey Mack,

One thing I like to do onstage is face the cab w/ my guitar and get some feedback, and also the squeals too. Whenever the pickups hears "itself" it'll give you feedback.

When I used tube amps it was a bit harder to "control" the feedback, so yeah, I think you're onto something here. But it's working for me, and enjoying my current setup!

Hope this helps!

-PJ

OK all you nl212 guys here a question for ya. I really want one for my ultra unit. I don't have a matrix power amp though, all I have is a ART SLA2. Do you think this will be sufficient for the nl212 or do you think it will color the tone a lot? Im using my ultra and sla2 to power 2 412s right now and it sounds good its just so damn heavy

After using them for about a month, I have to say that Matrix has really made a quality product and it's amazing!

However, for my situation and my band's setup, I'm going back to using my IEM and running it FOH. Don't get me wrong, running them onstage was awesome, but it was an additional thing to setup and right now since we're running FOH and IEM, I was using that more than the cabs.

Gonna put them up for sale if anyone is interested in them. I could use the cash to upgrade my earbuds (looking at either the J-Audio or 1964 Ears).

-PJ

Hi pjrake:

Cheers,
Mack
I have no trouble getting control feed back out of my axe. Did it with a k12, rcf and clr

Back
Top Bottom