Using 2 cabs in stereo question

claxor

Power User
This is my first attempt going stereo in a guitar rig, and I noticed something odd: I have to raise the volume level on the power amp on one of the speakers output to clearly hear both speakers in unison. Not sure why. Using Matrix GT800FX into (2) old ADA split stack cabs (2x12). This is an Axefx 2 rig.

One thing that occurred to me, that might be affecting the levels: my rig is a home rig in the corner of the living room, with not a lot of physical room to work in, so one vertical 2x12 is against the wall with the rack, while the other 2x12 is at an angle near the room's corner. I tried moving the corner speaker to point more towards me, however, I still noticed this volume level phenomena.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Did you try reversing the cab connections to see if the problem is specific to a cab or its location? Does this happen with all patches? Have you tried more than one? Can you post a patch for others to check out?

This is my first attempt going stereo in a guitar rig, and I noticed something odd: I have to raise the volume level on the power amp on one of the speakers output to clearly hear both speakers in unison. Not sure why. Using Matrix GT800FX into (2) old ADA split stack cabs (2x12). This is an Axefx 2 rig.

One thing that occurred to me, that might be affecting the levels: my rig is a home rig in the corner of the living room, with not a lot of physical room to work in, so one vertical 2x12 is against the wall with the rack, while the other 2x12 is at an angle near the room's corner. I tried moving the corner speaker to point more towards me, however, I still noticed this volume level phenomena.

Ideas? Suggestions?
Check the VU meters in the Utility menu on the front panel. Are you certain your preset is sending a stereo signal?

I know it's stereo: with headphones, it is definitely stereo. It happens with all patches.

Maybe I should switch the two speaker cables so L goes to R speaker, and R to L speaker, just to see what happens.

Any of the speakers changed in the cabs? If so could be a lower sensitivity speaker in one cab compared to the other.

Ideas? Suggestions?
Might be that corner loading is having a significant effect. Try swapping the left & right speakers' positions while leaving everything else the same, don't unplug and replug anything. If it follows the speakers, it's a speaker sensitivity difference or something wonky at the power amp. If it follows the positioning, it's corner loading.

Might be that corner loading is having a significant effect. Try swapping the left & right speakers' positions while leaving everything else the same, don't unplug and replug anything. If it follows the speakers, it's a speaker sensitivity difference or something wonky at the power amp. If it follows the positioning, it's corner loading.
Moving (2) 2x12’s physically without unplugging the speaker cables is going to be very difficult. I need to unplug either at the speaker end or at the power amp end. Unless you can explain why I shouldn’t do this.

Moving (2) 2x12’s physically without unplugging the speaker cables is going to be very difficult. I need to unplug either at the speaker end or at the power amp end. Unless you can explain why I shouldn’t do this.
Oh sorry, I actually just meant to say don't switch the current wiring. So move the current left speaker to the right position, but keep the wiring the same so it's still connected to the left channel of the Matrix. You can unplug and replug while moving the cabs of course, my bad.

The corner is absolutely going to reinforce the low end of that speaker. In a perfect world, just like with your studio monitors, you want your guitar speakers placed symmetrically in your room for stereo reproduction.

I’m not saying there might not be other factors, but speaker placement is definately part of the equation.

Back
Top Bottom