User Guide?

APE

Inspired
Is there a user guide for Axe-II? I have the manual, which looks to be well-organized and probably useful for a reference, but was looking for a simple quick-start guide.

There is a quick-start guide.. but most products (of this type) that I have encountered do NOT have a User Guide per se - unless it is written by the user community. In this case the prior advice of using the wiki is good direction!!

The Wiki is very helpful. Oh, and definitely use the ONLINE manual (print it or whatever)... the one that you receive with your AxeII (and especially the MFC-101) surely contains information that is outdated. Don't ask me how i know this.

what's the difference between a user guide, a quick start guide, and a manual? semantics? :?
According to the OP, he considers the manual a reference guide for all the features. A User Guide [IMHO] is how to accomplish things - based on the features in the manual. A quick start guide is the 30 second overview of how to plug it in, get it running and get "noise" out of it - without frying the chips inside :)

Does that help ?

According to the OP, he considers the manual a reference guide for all the features. A User Guide [IMHO] is how to accomplish things - based on the features in the manual. A quick start guide is the 30 second overview of how to plug it in, get it running and get "noise" out of it - without frying the chips inside :)

Does that help ?
i guess i'm one of the few people that read the whole manual before doing anything, which is why i don't need a user guide or quick start guide. i don't think 30s is enough to cover how to run the axe...

that said, isn't the forum the user guide per that definition?

i guess i'm one of the few people that read the whole manual before doing anything, which is why i don't need a user guide or quick start guide. i don't think 30s is enough to cover how to run the axe...

that said, isn't the forum the user guide per that definition?
I'm guessing the OP is really looking for a HOW-TO guide which.. [IMHO] is the wiki. Most "User Manuals" I have read (and not only in the music arena) are for reference purposes only, documenting features and expanding functional descriptors. However, most do not tell you how to "make it work".

Take the average automobile Owners manual. Details on engine size, oil grade/capacity, frequency of maintenance, even down to how to change the FM radio memory settings, switch CD tracks and adjust Bass/Treble settings. Nowhere in there does it describe how to drive the vehicle!! It ASSUMES you already know how to do that!!

I view the Axe manual is same manner. It assumes one has basic comprehension of tone fundamentals, but it's not going to tell you basic effect block order. One might be very technically proficient and skilled with a guitar, but if one can't walk up to a combo amp and tweak it to get elemental tone, one might fine oneself a little behind the 8-ball with the Axe and facing something of a learning curve. I do not expect a User Manual to help with that. :roll

Last edited:
There are plenty of products out there in every market that you can just read a quick start guide and it's basically plug and play. You can kind of do that with the AxeFX because once you get it connected it works and makes sound.

But if you are buying an AxeFX you aren't buying something that you just plug into and it makes sound for you. The wiki is an unbelivable resource, the manual is a great reference guide, but trial and error and asking specific questions on this forum are where the real knowledge comes from IMHO. You just can't take something with the ability and scope of the AxeFX stuff and have a step by step one size fits all for every scenario guide. There are a million ways to skin a cat in this thing and that's part of what makes it so great; if you can think it up you can probably do it in there. That's probably why this forum is so damn amazing and active, because people are always sharing discoveries and the bottom of the well hasn't been reached yet.

In my opinion there is going to be some reading involved because if you don't understand what is going on in there you are going to struggle with it. I do think that the learning curve is sharp meaning that you can pick it up extremely fast, but the end of it is way up there. That doesn't mean you have to be an expert and have a masters degree from Fractal University to do what you need to, but to get everything out of it is going to take some messing with it and some failures along the way.

Back
Top Bottom