User Cabs Combine Multiple Cabs into one New User Cab

axedude

I've looked around but cannot find an answer to this one, and I'm sorry if this is a dumb question!!

Is it possible to set up 2 or more cabs and their settings, then save that combination of cabs and settings as a new user cab preset ?? So each time I want the Own Hammer cab and Marshall cab together I just use that user cab preset and it opens it exactly as saved previously.

Thanks for any help.

If you have the IRs in wav format this is readily accomplished using Cab-Lab.

Thanks, but I was talking about the built in cabs. Is it possible to combine them as a user cab preset ? Sorry to sound dumb again, but is Cab-lab from FAS ??

HI Axedude,
Just setup the cab block how you want it, and save it!... Then, any time you want it, it will be available in your block library.
Thanks
Pauly

I've looked around but cannot find an answer to this one, and I'm sorry if this is a dumb question!!

Is it possible to set up 2 or more cabs and their settings, then save that combination of cabs and settings as a new user cab preset ?? So each time I want the Own Hammer cab and Marshall cab together I just use that user cab preset and it opens it exactly as saved previously.

Thanks for any help.

@axedude, you can "shoot" a tone match of the CAB block in-the-box (using a noise signal). Then you can save the TM as a user IR. It may not have the exact fidelity of the original cab block but it will be close.

Attached is a preset to assist with tone matching a particular CAB setup (channel). It uses a SYN block to generate noise fed as the local source (left channel via a filter) while also going through the CAB reference (right channel via a filter). Use Scene 1 to do the matching and Scenes 2 & 3 to compare the original CAB with the tone match using noise as the input. Use Scenes 4 & 5 to compare cab and tone match with Input 1 and an AMP (which you can change as you wish).

Steps:
  1. Before loading the preset, turn down your monitor volume down (Output 1) for safety as the preset generates a noise signal
  2. In Axe-Edit copy your CAB channel to CAB channel A in the preset
  3. Make sure you are on Scene 1 before doing the next steps
    • Go to the first tab of TMA block and press "Start Both". Wait for about 10-15 secs. You should see two plots being created.
    • Press "Match". On scene 1 the tone will not yet be right as you will be hearing a mixture of Source and Reference
  4. Go to Scenes 2 (noise input) or 4 (guitar input 1) which will be the orig CAB (channel A)
  5. Go to Scenes 3 (noise input) or 5 (guitar input 1) which will be the TMA
  6. Scene 2 & 3 and 4 & 5 should sound similar
  7. In the TMA block save it as an IR in a location of your choice.
You can also view the frequency distribution in the RTA block for scenes 2 vs. 3. I did notice that the tone match seems to not cut out low frequencies which may be a feature or a bug (which I'll probably post as a question to FAS).

Attachments

• Util CAB Matcher.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I think the OP's idea is to be able to combine a cab block's IRs (with any settings applied, such ascrelative mix balance, etc.) into a single IR, with the goal being CPU savings. I know I have seen CPU percentage drop after making a combined IR of a mix of user IRs, so it would be a relatively logical assumption that the same savings would happen if a mix of factory IRs could be condensed down to a single one.

don't mean to derail so sorry in advance if this is too far ot but... with all the auditioning of cabs I've been doing lately - factory and 3rd party... it seems to me that in many cases (not all) a single ir sounds better to me. anyone?

don't mean to derail so sorry in advance if this is too far ot but... with all the auditioning of cabs I've been doing lately - factory and 3rd party... it seems to me that in many cases (not all) a single ir sounds better to me. anyone?

Could depend on how you have them aligned. I like using multiple cabs to cover different frequencies, it makes it easier than finding that one great cab.

well... I have lots of oh/drB/other mixes that were aligned by better ears than mine, and i've also played with the alignment in the the cab block. Sure, adding in a 121 to a 57 and adjusting can sound real nice... but the more I listen the more I am appreciating just a single mic. Sometimes a mix is a must, but I'm appreciating more and more a really good sm57 capture that isn't thin or a really good 121 capture that isn't dark. I dunno, perhaps it's just me.

it seems to me that in many cases (not all) a single ir sounds better to me. anyone?
Could depend on how you have them aligned. I like using multiple cabs to cover different frequencies, it makes it easier than finding that one great cab.

I get both points. However, any 2-4 random cabs (not panned) will tend to "smooth" each other out making the combination less distinctive than single IRs. The effect varies with relative alignment among them. Two identical cabs shifted will tend to somewhat cancel out peaks/valleys.

When I find 2 different IRs that I like with a slightly different character, I'll tend to pan them R/L 50-100%. Panning 100% keeps the character of each of them while centering them "averages" them. If there is a third IR, I might blend it in the middle, sometimes at a lower level (e.g. -3 to -12 dB).

Last edited:
I get both points. However, any 2-4 random cabs (not panned) will tend to "smooth" each other out making the combination less distinctive than single IRs. The effect varies with relative alignment among them. Two identical cabs shifted will tend to somewhat cancel out peaks/valleys.
yes... less distinctive might be a better description. perhaps even 'more authentic'. not necc 'better' as it will be less balanced freq wise. good call.

At the end of the day, isn't that how most of us played live; one mic on a cab? I've come to appreciate single IRs as well but I also appreciate having the ability to mix in a room mic and back of cabinet mic to enhance the tone at FOH, especially when a physical cab is not used.

When I find 2 different IRs that I like with a slightly different character, I'll tend to pan them R/L 50-100%. Panning 100% keeps the character of each of them while centering them "averages" them. If there is a third IR, I might blend it in the middle, sometimes at a lower level (e.g. -3 to -12 dB).
Exactly. That is what I do when I combine 2 or 3 IR's, otherwise they loose their original mojo and it becomes a kind of neutral and rounded CAB

Most of the time I like a tiny bit of a "room" IR to do the "phasey mics" thing with. I get a bit of "space" without sounding too reverb-y, and it pulls the amp out of my audio monitors and into the space between (and a little behind) my video monitor when I get the blend right. Sort-of an 'amp in the room' thing.

on that note... and perhaps to my and the op's end... listings of
At the end of the day, isn't that how most of us played live; one mic on a cab? I've come to appreciate single IRs as well but I also appreciate having the ability to mix in a room mic and back of cabinet mic to enhance the tone at FOH, especially when a physical cab is not used.
On the contrary... (I don't play out these days but also) it's making me second guess how I record my tube amps. Making me think that perhaps focusing on getting a better capture from one mic is more important that a spending less time on multiple captures. All I'm really saying is "note to self: don't be afraid to decide that a single mic might be the right choice in some scenarios"

Most of the time I like a tiny bit of a "room" IR to do the "phasey mics" thing with. I get a bit of "space" without sounding too reverb-y, and it pulls the amp out of my audio monitors and into the space between (and a little behind) my video monitor when I get the blend right. Sort-of an 'amp in the room' thing.
certainly is another good option.

Back
Top Bottom