User assignable cc#s

trancegodz

Fractal Fanatic
It seems that the CC#s are user assignable for all the effects in the Axe FXIII.
Is this per preset or globally?

I would hate to have to set up CC#s for 512 presets.
If I have to choose which cc#s I want for all the effects I will use, I only want to have to do it once.

Looking at the CC#s for everything on the Axe FXII and looking at the new effects added in the Axe FXIII, and what is gone in the Axe FXIII, it seems like it would be easiest for me to use the same CC#s as were in the Axe FXII for all the effects that remain the same in the Axe FXIII.

Since the X/Y functions are not in the Axe FXIII that leaves cc#s 100 through 119 free to assign to any new functions the Axe FXIII has that the Ax FXII didn’t.

Plus since the Multi-Delay and Quad Chorus from the Axe FXII are not in the Axe FXIII that leaves cc#s 69,70, 79, 80 free also to assign to whatever you want in the Axe FXIII.

Am I wrong or misunderstanding how this should work? All info is appreciated.

Also I would like to know how this might affect those who might want to try and use the MFC-101 as a general midi controller for both their Axe FXII and Axe FXIII.

It’s a global setting. It’s the same as the Axe-Fx II’s I/O CTRL menu, but expanded to include the many more entries. Yes, starting out with the previous CC#s could be a good idea, though if you’re programming both the Axe and controller from scratch, it kinda doesn’t matter.

I would hate to have to set up CC#s for 512 presets.
Fortunately! You don’t set up CCs for a preset; you set them up for effects parameters. If you use the same effect in multiple parameters, you only have to set up the CCs for that once.

Since the X/Y functions are not in the Axe FXIII that leaves cc#s 100 through 119 free to assign to any new functions the Axe FXIII has that the Ax FXII didn’t.
X/Y is gone, but Channels are here, so it’s kind of a wash.

The manual indicates that pedals can be assigned directly to parameters without having to use the 16 global External Controllers. Does that apply to CCs as well - can they be assigned directly to modifiable parameters per preset?

Not that you’d have to or want to do it per preset, but it’s an interesting option.

Fortunately! You don’t set up CCs for a preset; you set them up for effects parameters. If you use the same effect in multiple parameters, you only have to set up the CCs for that once.
X/Y is gone, but Channels are here, so it’s kind of a wash.

Thanks Rex!
So presets have scenes, scenes have blocks, and blocks have channels.
How would you select a channel from a foot controller?
Do you have to have a different cc# for every channel of every effect block?

Thanks Rex!
So presets have scenes, scenes have blocks, and blocks have channels.
How would you select a channel from a foot controller?
Do you have to have a different cc# for every channel of every effect block?
Presets have blocks. Blocks belong to the preset. That’s a very important way to view it.

Scenes ONLY change channels and on/off in blocks.

For channels, you choose a CC# (like 35) then send a VALUE for the Channel you want. 0=A 1=B etc.

This is how Scenes have always worked.

For channels, you choose a CC# (like 35) then send a VALUE for the Channel you want. 0=A 1=B etc.

Help me understand this better. Say you are using 2 to 4 channels on every block in your grid layout. Do you have to have a separate channel cc# for each block on your grid that is using channels? Then also set the value for the channel you want? If you have an amp, cab, and say 12 effects blocks do you need 14 different cc#s for channels, plus the values for each of the 4 channels in each block?

Help me understand this better. Say you are using 2 to 4 channels on every block in your grid layout. Do you have to have a separate channel cc# for each block on your grid that is using channels? Then also set the value for the channel you want? If you have an amp, cab, and say 12 effects blocks do you need 14 different cc#s for channels, plus the values for each of the 4 channels in each block?
It's really similar to X/Y states on the Axe Fx II... There are just 4 states instead of 2.

As far as CCs, this is also similar except on the II the CCs were already "mapped" to the effects.

I think maybe you are over-thinking things...

Also, as far as your example, you'd assign CCs for whatever you need to control with midi. Likely you would use scenes to change Channels of blocks.

You don't need to have separate controllers for each channel.

Blocks have channels. They're a way to completely reconfigure a block on the fly, without changing presets. If you want to change a block's channel using a foot controller, then you need to set up a separate CC# for that block — not a separate CC# for each channel.

Have you ever used X/Y on other Fractal products? X/Y lets you choose two different configurations for each block. Channels let you choose among four (on most blocks) different configurations.

A CC# can send values 0 - 127. That’s 128 values. It’s part of the CC# - that’s how expression pedals work. You send the range of 0 - 127 on CC#16 for example.

For channels you are simply sending ONE of the values in that CC#. So

0=A
1=B
2=C
3=D

So yes, you need a CC# for each Engage/Bypass and each block’s Channel select option. That’s why there aren’t any defaults set so you can choose what you actually need.

I agree yes a bit overthinking right now, but it’s tough without the gear in front of you. I’ll see if I can make a video about this soon. But it’s exactly how Scenes worked.

Last edited:
I understand that channels are basically like x/y states but with 4 choices instead of 2.
On the Axe FXII the x/y states CC#s went from 100 to 119 for for amps cabs and a number of effects.
It seems logical that you might need a different cc# for each like you did with x/y. I am trying to find out if that is the case.

I understand that channels are basically like x/y states but with 4 choices instead of 2.
On the Axe FXII the x/y states CC#s went from 100 to 119 for for amps cabs and a number of effects.
It seems logical that you might need a different cc# for each like you did with x/y. I am trying to find out if that is the case.
Yes. It is the case for any block you want control.

So yes, you need a CC# for each Engage/Bypass and each Channel. That’s why there aren’t any defaults set so you can choose what you actually need.

That wording is a bit confusing, I think.

A block has up to 4 channels. There is not a CC for each channel. There is 1 CC for ALL channels of a given block. The data value for that CC is what selects the channel for that block.

That wording is a bit confusing, I think.

A block has up to 4 channels. There is not a CC for each channel. There is 1 CC for ALL channels of a given block. The data value for that CC is what selects the channel for that block.
Agreed. I replaced it with “each blocks channel select option.”

Regardless a video will clear it up.

Back
Top Bottom