User Advice? Matrix GT1000FX or FRFR Speakers?

nick07evans

Hi everyone! I thought I would post this to get some of your opinions/advice. I just bought the Axe Fx II Mark II with the MFC101 Mark II and I love it! Here is my situation: I have a Mesa Recto 4X12 cab; should I get the Matrix GT1000FX in order to use it? OR should I go with a pair of QSC K12s? I have done my research don't know which way to go. I play at my church in the praise and worship team and that is where I would be using it. I use a pair of M-Audio studio monitors at home.

Any opinions....videos....sound clips would all be great! Thanks!

The QSC K12s would be more compact, true FRFR because you wouldn't be going through a traditional cab and you could run stereo!

I tried some K10s yesterday courtesy of another member on this forum as well as a solid state power amp into a few guitar cabs. My first impressions were that you have more functionality with the QSCs and they had a wider more "3D" sound. The guitar cabs (a port city and a bogner) sounded great too, but the K10 was more open and wider sounding to me. I even played it on the floor like a monitor wedge and the sound was really open.

I think either way you will be happy - buy personally I like portability and versatility. And they still are LOUD.

However, it is worth noting that getting a power amp and guitar cabs will get you closer to a TRADITIONAL sound, look, and feel if you don't want to go all FRFR, but then again it's how YOU personally want to run the Axe Fx. I was pleasantly surprised at the capability of the K10. I only spent 10 minutes dialing in a sound and I was 90% happy with it.

Also note: I don't currently own any Axe Gear. Ive owned a Standard in the past and I will be making the leap soon. I am also a guy who is reallllllllly picky about tone, pedals, etc. i heard sounds yesterday that I though were pretty aeful - stock presets that just didn't do it for me whether I was running thru the qsc k10 or the cabs. But after tweaking a bit and playing for about 45 minutes I am ready to sell everything to go AxeFx and stereo QSC K10s....

You could of course use a Matrix amp with the cab you have now with speakers sims off and later add some passive monitors and continue to use the Matrix amp.

I just added a matrix 1000 to my AxeII rig, which I previously was using FRFR. I really enjoy the sound using the AxeII and Martrix 100 a 1x12 and a 2x12 cabinet. I keep the speaker sims on usually. I also own a pair of QSC Hpr122i that I used as well (and have used primarily over the last 3 years with my axe Ultra and II). Personally I like the flexibility to run a standard guitar rig, or go direct to PA (just did this yesterday for gig), or run to a pair of FRFR. Its a close run comparing prices, sound quality and convenience. I think either way you wont go wrong. If you like the feel of an amp in the room - go with a matrix, if thats not an issue, go with FRFR.

Theres loads of forum posts already on the whys and whatnots of this debate, I wish you luck trawling through them! So I'll just give my opinion assuming your Church gig is your main venue and uses a good PA setup.

Go FR - whether thats a Matrix GT1000 (or the new GT1500 3 channel) and passive FR monitors (Matrix, Atomic CLR (TBA), Xitone etc) or just one or two powered FR cabs like the QSCs, RCFs, Xitones etc.

I've already got the Matrix GT1000FX - I share Stratomania's pov - it's nice to have the choice to use normal speaker cabs if you want or experiment with the various passive FR cabs until you find the one that works for you.

Why FR? IMO the cab blocks are very important to get the true character of 'expected' tone from all those amps in the Axe and if your stage monitor is sounding just like what goes to the PA then you'll maybe be more comfortable playing knowing it's what the audience are hearing.

I think the Axe, though versatile enough to work with all backline setups, is at it's most effective used in a FR system - this is the way I'm being drawn I think. (Then again - ask me next tuesday and I could be off on another tangent!)

The only real worry I have is that if I'm playing a small room gig with a ropey vocal only PA I'll need to get the FR monitor up high on a stand and I'll actually be hearing all my tone - I've been so used to stage mic'ed normal cabs or combos with their volumes up but me only hearing them off axis (less highs) over the years that I'll be tempted to dial my presets darker :)

I haven't sold any of my conventional backline gear and probably won't - more out of nostalgia than probably anything else ... though the official reason if I'm asked will be "it's my backup solution". The only person who will ask will be my wife mind you .... it's my duty to keep her happy isn't it??

I would go FRFR but that's just me. I hated running my axe through my engl SE's fx loop and not having access to the speaker sims. Plus running in stereo is amazing, i'm not sure if that's still an option for you or if you'd have to buy 2 power amps to run in stereo. The GTFX1000 is just so expensive for only getting a power section imho.

If your primary gig is church I would go FRFR. You will have total volume control and can get super detailed with your configuration and have a much better idea of what the audience is going to hear.

I tried few solutions..and so far I prefer my Matrix GT1000FX setup with my Cornford 2x12 cab...I gues this sounds the best/realest/closest to real tube amp :)

Wow... I guess I still have some thinking to do! Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to voice your opinion. It really is appreciated! I'm leaning more toward the FRFR setup using the QSCs. I want to be able to use the power sims and cab sims that are in the Axe FX II. I think having that flexibility is important when you have the Axe FX II. PLUS, the main reason I think the FRFR would be best is because I want to be able to seamlessly go from my home "studio" to church or whatever live situation I may be in. I want it to sound the same and not have to tweak back and forth. Maybe I wouldn't have that issue, but I have searched this forum and I see a lot of mixed views.

Thanks again everyone!

I have both and I prefer the GT1000FX into my CAA 412 with Greenbacks than the QSC K12. Something more real about using that cab. The K12 seems a bit sterile to me. But, really, it is all a preference.

When I bought my Axe Fx 2 XL. I sold my heavy ass mesa boogie road king. I sold my whole dam PA system and bought 2 QSC k12's and 2 QSC k10's with 2behringer 15" subs for the PA. Plug in the AXE FX in to the mixer and away we go with a kick ass PA. I have been thinking of adding the matrix GT800fx to have behind me for the more real feel of an amp. I am thinking the Matrix passive frfr 1-12". Thought of the GT1000 and matrix frfr 212 but I don't think I will need that much lol. Plus alot more chinga $$$$ I would like some feed back on Matrix 1-12 frfr cabs. With the Matrix GT800fx amp. Is there any other frfr cabs that anyone of you would suggest?

I'm in the process of trading in my K12's that I've used for 6 years (along with CLR passives) for K10.2's. I compared the K12's to a K12.2 at a local GC and the K12.2 was quite a bit better. More bass, LOUDER, clearer mids (especially pushed), and smooth highs.
I opted for the K10.2's Because I'm getting lazy in my old age and I want smaller, lighter speakers.
I sometimes drag the speakers out to the patio for weekend jams and I want to move lighter (and better) speakers.

I would go with the FRFR for worship service. More versatility, ease of use, and a broader sweet spot than a traditional cab. People sitting immediately in front of your cab probably getting beamed.

My rig right now is using a gt1000fx in a 4x12 Madison Cab I dig it and going from my tube amp to the axe it was nice. But I'm looking to going to direct and see how it goes. But it really depends on want you want if you're looking to have a traditional setup or using a full range system. I say choose the one that makes you play the best!

I use to run a Mackie HD1531 and it was louder than most 4x12's and 50-100w heads. I have since switched to a Matrix with a 2x12 and I prefer the "realness" of the tone.

It really comes down to what you want to accomplish as far as tones go. If you want to sound like specific cabs or are copying certain tones (like want to sound like U2 or Van Halen, etc.) then FRFR is necessary in my opinion. When I was playing thru my Marshall cabs, they were great but I couldn't get as exact with certain tones. If you like a certain sound and are happy with the cab you have, then FRFR is not as important.

Someone mentioned this before, but not using FRFR is like you are not getting everything out of the unit as you could. All of the IRs and cabs at your disposal are endless with new improvements and better tones everyday.

Back
Top Bottom