Used Mk I (w/ a return window) + fan hum

I just picked up a used Mk 1 for a good price from Guitar Center. The rack is not in a case and there is an audible hum coming from the unit. It's louder than anything my computer puts out (with its 2 fans) and is immediate upon boot and does not stop.

I know this topic has been long discussed, but given it's a used unit I wanted advice from folks most familiar with it. If it's just noise - that's no problem, but if it's indicative of being mistreated or a possible issue down the road, I have a return window on this and wanted your thoughts.

Worst case, I would stretch my budget a bit and pick up the AF3 + FC-6 bundle currently running.

Last edited:
I just picked up a used Mk 1 for a good price from Guitar Center. The rack is not in a case and there is an audible hum coming from the unit. It's louder than anything my computer puts out (with its 2 fans) and is immediate upon boot and does not stop.

I know this topic has been long discussed, but given it's a used unit I wanted advice from folks most familiar with it. If it's just noise - that's no problem, but if it's indicative of being mistreated or a possible issue down the road, I have a return window on this and wanted your thoughts.

Worst case, I would stretch my budget a bit and pick up the AF3 + FC-6 bundle currently running.

The noise is very noticeable, and yes, it starts when you turn the unit on.

I didn't pay much attention to it when it was in my gigging rack, now that it's in my desk it's quite loud. Louder than any other fan I have in the house apart from an old playstation.

The original fan can be noisy. On some more, on some less. Replace the fan?
I have a Noctua ULN in mine, IIRC. It's almost inaudible since.
Thank you! I may do that, but it's not really the noise itself I am worried about.
The noise is very noticeable, and yes, it starts when you turn the unit on.

I didn't pay much attention to it when it was in my gigging rack, now that it's in my desk it's quite loud. Louder than any other fan I have in the house apart from an old playstation.
This is reassuring - the unit is in good cosmetic condition and wanted to make sure the fan noise didn't indicate potential issues or mishandling.

It might had been less noisy in the gigging rack actually. My unit was okay as long it was in a wodden rack. It seems the vibrations got eaten up by the wood construction and the rubber feet.
Then I took a plastic rack and the noise got very noticeable. It's not about the air stream, it's about vibrations.

It might had been less noisy in the gigging rack actually. My unit was okay as long it was in a wodden rack. It seems the vibrations got eaten up by the wood construction and the rubber feet.
Then I took a plastic rack and the noise got very noticeable. It's not about the air stream, it's about vibrations.
Good point - I do have a rack case coming for it for protection and portability, so this is good to know.

Change the fan for a low noise type. Thou shallt
verify though the remplacement has at least the same airflow in cfh, the same size for the screws and the same power supply voltage and connector. You can check and cross these informations by verifying the performances of the actually installed reference on the web
Did this on my II and it was quite better afterwards

To give you some perspective even though you didn’t care to mention what you paid…

I got mine from GC recently at 1800. Mine has 1 minor scratch and barely anything else. I rely on them for those types of used prices that just barely outdo what Reverb peeps are looking to score and of course an excellent return policy. I have none of those issues you mention. Mines fairly silent it sounds the way I’d expect it to.

What I do have is the default knob to press for the tuner along the row of like 5 knobs requires a carefully precise type of push with just the right amount of English to get it to click, and the tuner up. It sort of annoyed me, but I know it could be easily fixed if it ever became dysfunctional. It does work for now.

Maybe you could give us a demonstration? I’ve come to find people have wildly differing opinions on what their computers should sound like these days. The FM3 I had before I got my mk1 was capable of really revving the fans on a taxing preset. Actually, more so than the axe 3 mk1 so far.

I keep mine in one of those amp-head rack cases guitar center sells. Not sure that muffles the noise?

So comparing apples to apples, i.e., including all costs of the price/tax/shipping/installation of a new fan, how much are you saving over the cost of a new MkII? And do you realize a new FW (currently in beta) just dropped that the MkI won't be able to take full advantage of, that is already causing some people to sell their MkI's, thus creating the "potential" for softer prices?

The fan sits on a sheet metal mounted in rubber, but the sheet metal itself does not, thus the vibrations are transferred to the case. If you also separate the sheet with soft rubber absorbers, it will be much quieter.
There are 80s fans that have only 10db with low speed.

I paid $1800 and went with them for the same reasons @supersonic182 mentions. I have some cosmetic issues (scratches on the screen and some very minor dings on the upper lip of the unit). I know the Mk II is out, but for my basic needs I'm not sure if I need to go the next step up for $500. EDIT: I was tempted by the AxeFx III + FC-6 deal, but it looks like that's now expired.

My concern is not really the sound though and I'm not sure if I've communicated that well. I'm questioning if the noise is an indicator of a potential issue now or in the future. If everyone said "AxeFX IIIs are generally dead silent" I'd then assume the fan hum might be due to mishandling or an issue. My concern is only that I'm not picking up a unit that might have some issues down the road is all. It doesn't sound like that's the case (no pun intended).

Either way, here's the recording - it's fainter in the recording underneath that white noise. White noise is ambient room noise, the sound from the AxeFx is like a somewhat high-pitched hum. I measured it around 50db with just an iPhone, smack next to the unit. I know it's not the best way to measure this though.

Attachments

• AF3 hum.zip
    83.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I can’t seem to listen on my phone atm but I’ll be home shortly to have a listen.

I wouldn’t be too concerned. Some things to think about are if you ever see your unit potentially cooking in the hot Sun. If so having a funky fan could be scary, but still I hear of people that have a functioning unit that shuts itself down even in the shade due to heat.

You likely won’t spend over $60 on any fan, so you’ve saved a lot. They have also been quoted as saying the mk2 will not have functional differences from the mk1. I asked about the price of your unit because in my experience GC is consistent about pricing based on condition. Could be my unique experience.

I stress about future-proofing, and made extra sure I felt confident that I wasn’t losing something nice by not getting the mk2. I still feel great about that. Saved a worthy chunk of cash I can use towards an FS-12.

When I get home I’ll check out the sounds. Thanks!

Personally I'd return it while you're still within your window and wait another 10 weeks for Black Friday when the deals will be back on a Mk II. Might only be an extra $2-300 which I think is worth if for the extra presets and new IR functionality.

"But who really needs 1024 presets?!"

Well, it's handy if you like to keep all the factory presets but want to add banks of Austin Buddy presets as well. Saves having to think about shuttling presets around. Just load em all up! More is more! :)

That said, I replaced the fan in my Mk I (with a Noctua) and it took about 3 minutes, 2 of which were removing and replacing the case. It couldn't be easier and the part only costs $10. If you've ever assembled a PC you can do this in your sleep.

Amazon product ASIN B00KF7T9MI

I can’t seem to listen on my phone atm but I’ll be home shortly to have a listen.

I wouldn’t be too concerned. Some things to think about are if you ever see your unit potentially cooking in the hot Sun. If so having a funky fan could be scary, but still I hear of people that have a functioning unit that shuts itself down even in the shade due to heat.

You likely won’t spend over $60 on any fan, so you’ve saved a lot. They have also been quoted as saying the mk2 will not have functional differences from the mk1. I asked about the price of your unit because in my experience GC is consistent about pricing based on condition. Could be my unique experience.

I stress about future-proofing, and made extra sure I felt confident that I wasn’t losing something nice by not getting the mk2. I still feel great about that. Saved a worthy chunk of cash I can use towards an FS-12.

When I get home I’ll check out the sounds. Thanks!
I am the same way about stressing, but this thing is already way more than I could ever ask for. Let me know what you think! I had to upload as a zip, since the m4a file isn't accepted.
Personally I'd return it while you're still within your window and wait another 10 weeks for Black Friday when the deals will be back on a Mk II. Might only be an extra $2-300 which I think is worth if for the extra presets and new IR functionality.

"But who really needs 1024 presets?!"

Well, it's handy if you like to keep all the factory presets but want to add banks of Austin Buddy presets as well. Saves having to think about shuttling presets around. Just load em all up! More is more! :)

That said, I replaced the fan in my Mk I (with a Noctua) and it took about 3 minutes, 2 of which were removing and replacing the case. It couldn't be easier and the part only costs $10. If you've ever assembled a PC you can do this in your sleep.

Amazon product ASIN B00KF7T9MI
You know, I'm definitely running the numbers. I don't even need the AF3, but bought it because of everything it can do - the FM3 was a great motivator for me but I wanted a little extra out of it (better pitch, multiple amps namely) without waiting for the FM9. The FM3 is sold, so I don't know if I can wait 10 weeks.

I have assembled PCs and think I could tackle the fan pretty easily. I'll give it a think, but either way think I will be in good shape! I appreciate your input - the forum definitely has me thinking about jumping to the Mk 2...

Ok, so I'm home, and I listened to your file.

First I bought mine a month or so ago for the exact reasons as you. I even sold my FM3 to fund it, and was so impatiently waiting for the Axe3 to come in. I did a lot of high-powered maneuvering to afford this thing xD

My MK2 hardly makes a peep. It's next to my Alienware Aurora R12 gaming PC, and I think the PC takes up the sonic space and makes the Axe 3 seem noiseless.

Have you tried to go to an empty preset, and see if that changes what the fans are doing?

Mediocrity hasn't convinced me I'm afraid. Then again I prefer to make my own presets and hardly care for the majority of factory presets. I just don't need much. I have more power than I need in a preset, which I wanted, but don't need anywhere near 1,000 of them.

Yeah, any preset I am on its running/humming. It's on at boot and stays constant throughout. I just realized I have some credit card rewards I can use on PayPal, so I think I'm going to make the upgrade to the Mk 2. Maneuvering. :)

Back
Top Bottom