Used Macbook pro... School me!

Sixstring

Legend!
Ok,
Self admittedly not a huge computer buff so I'm looking for advice on buying a used Macbook pro for a new business venture I'm starting in CNC machining... specifically wood but not limited to. The software that is included is Windows and OS compatible and requirements are min 2gig ram and 10.7 OS for Mac.

The system I have chosen is from Carbide 3D called the Shapeoko 3 a CNC table router that uses a standard Trim router for the spindle. I don't have a ton of startup funds so I'm trying to keep it low cost at first then upgrade as I go.

Now for a laptop I have been looking on ebay at a few machines in the $150-250 range most of which have been "seller refurbished" or look like they have been abused quite a bit. I know there are some guys here that are really good with computers so I thought I would reach out to you to get some pointers or maybe some leads on a good used machines in my price range.

The computer is going to be used primarily for this application and not much else. It will need to be internet ready for program updates but does not need to be a racehorse so I doubt a lot of wizzbang is required other than a mouse. I'm leaning toward Apple because I'm already using one and have been since 2007 and comfortable with that.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

Apple is the way to go. Although you do pay a premium for those. IMO it's worth it (I still use a MacBook Pro from 2005...runs great.)

I would suggest googling any mac repair stores in your area...they generally have a few they're trying to sell, and you have the benefit of someone to run to if it turns out to be a lemon.

Do you need a laptop, or is a Mac mini OK? I suspect that you'll find them for much cheaper, and given that they're "desktop" machines, they're much less likely to have been abused (than a laptop). Of course, I assume that you have an extra mouse, keyboard, and monitor sitting around....

I was leaning toward a lap top because of the compact size, I didn't think of a mini though so I will give that a look as well!

Back
Top Bottom