Used Liquid Foot+ Pro+ or New FC-12 at similar prices?

I have an opportunity to buy a used Liquid Foot+ Pro+ for about the same price as a new FC-12. Aside from the LF having more switches, does it have the same functionality as the FC-12 without a lot of programming? From what I gather the FC-12 looks to be ready to go once plugged into the AXE III. I was reading some posts from LF users and it seems the controller was having various issues during the early days of the III.

I used a LF+ controller with the AxeII when I had one. It was so much more powerful than the MFC101. But, Liquid Foot controllers require a lot of programming, and they were definitely not intuitive (this was a few years ago). User support was spotty back then. I have no idea if it has improved. You definitely have more capability to control multiple midi devices with the LF as compared to the rather limited midi capabilities of the AxeIII (the FC is not midi and all commands are generated from the AxeIII, not from the FC).

Given the integrated functionality of the FC6/12, I would DEFINITELY go with the FC. There's no way I would consider using a LT+ controller in it's place. But I don't have any other midi gear that I need to interface with.

It really depends on what you want/need out of your foot controller. You can configure your LF to do almost anything you'd like. The programming is WAY easier than it used to be, but the inital setup can be a little time consuming if you have 70+ songs like I do. Modifying your setup afterward is relatively quick. FAMC has periods of awesome support and times where they seemingly disappear from the face of the Earth.

I'd recommend looking at videos (or try them out if local) of the 2 units in use and see which fits your situation better.

Good points. I only intend on controlling the AXE III and no other MIDI gear. The AXE has enough of a learning curve and if possible I'd like to avoid more homework.

It really depends on what you want/need out of your foot controller. You can configure your LF to do almost anything you'd like. The programming is WAY easier than it used to be, but the inital setup can be a little time consuming if you have 70+ songs like I do. Modifying your setup afterward is relatively quick. FAMC has periods of awesome support and times where they seemingly disappear from the face of the Earth.

I'd recommend looking at videos (or try them out if local) of the 2 units in use and see which fits your situation better.
I don't have that many songs but in my current device, GT-1000, I do have presets for electric guitar direct, 4CM and power amp/guitar cab as well as a few for acoustic guitar I use for my acoustic duo.

If you want to avoid any pain figuring stuff out the FC-12 is where you want to be. It honestly could not be easier and the possibilities are seemingly endless. Integration with Axe-edit is seamless and provides access to infinite flexibility. Dont doubt LF is good but the tie to the III is where this will win out.

I own a LF+ Pro...It can do soooooooo much, technicaly even more than a RJM Mastermind (i dont own one but read the manual, checked the editor etc...)

First question is, do you have the time and patience, backround to programm third party advanced midi controllers, and do you need all those extra features. If not, FC12 is the way to go.

But the biggest, most important point.

STAY AWAY FROM FAMC MUSIC. This is not a professionaly run company, i have some issues with my unit since some weeks and found a bug in the firmware. And FAMC doesnt respond to anyone since weeks or months. Neither to email, nor to post to their official support system, or to messages on their forum.

And they dont even have a phone number available, i think this tells already all. If they had a phone nr available they would be daily in big trouble with bunch of people calling and complaining.

Yes the controllers are great (hardwarewise not on par with RJM stuff but as i mentioned i believe LF+ has more features/advanced programming capabilities).

The liquid foot stuff can be a pita to set up but is a powerful controller and will do a lot. Before I got the FC-12 I played around with it (LF+ 12+), at that time it was pretty buggy and hard to set up, plus you have an external power supply and two midi cables (or adapter cables) to deal with. The FC takes a little work to set up but is an extension of the Axe and is extremely powerful. Personally I'd go with the FC

Though I can program 3rd party controllers it can be a PITA and I really don't need anything more than what the FC-12 provides. I'd rather spend my time figuring out how I'm going to setup and use the AXE III.

It sounds to me like you have pretty much made up your mind. Since you have no need to control other midi gear I think the FC's are a no brainer for your needs not to mention the support aspect both from FAS and the many forum members that use them.

Here is what must be a silly question but has me at a total loss. I thought I'd see if there were any used FC-12 boards on Ebay available and looked at sold prices. WTH??? Buying direct is only $700 new so why would people pay way over that? I saw sold prices of new boards as high as $1,100 though most where between $700-$800. What's up with that?

Initially there was a wait list to get FC's and some delays due to parts shortages. Also there are logistics involved. ie. Canada and overseas.

People are impatient.:)

Where are you located? There might be people located near you and you can see them in person. Give me a yell if you're in Southern NM.

Where are you located? There might be people located near you and you can see them in person. Give me a yell if you're in Southern NM.
Thanks but I'm on the north side of Dallas Texas. I'll download the manual and check out the features and if need be I'll use an old RJM controller that's collecting dust until getting an fc12.

I used Liquid Foot LF Pro for many years. It was very reliable but a PITA to program because it used Java script over midi. Flaky as 'all get out'. Having said that it served me well for many years until I bought the RJM GT/22. That is a magnificent beast! Just go FC is you're a basic user.

I have a RJM but work only with my FC6, so much easier, and less buttons is less distractions. Fas link is the icing on the cake, and I don’t want to live without it.

Back
Top Bottom