Closed Use USB MIDI controller with FM3-Edit?

JRFarmer

Inspired
Hey folks. I love using the editor, I hate editing directly on the FM3, but I really miss turning knobs. How can I use a USB MIDI controller with knobs to edit parameters in FM3-Edit? I'd mostly like to do this while dialing-in amps.

I'm thinking of something like the AKAI LPD8 (has 8 knobs), or just about any USB MIDI controller keyboard that has knobs.

But how can I map those knobs to parameters? Do I need to send those MIDI commands to the FM3, and let the value sync back to the editor?

Hey folks. I love using the editor, I hate editing directly on the FM3, but I really miss turning knobs. How can I use a USB MIDI controller with knobs to edit parameters in FM3-Edit? I'd mostly like to do this while dialing-in amps.

I'm thinking of something like the AKAI LPD8 (has 8 knobs), or just about any USB MIDI controller keyboard that has knobs.

But how can I map those knobs to parameters? Do I need to send those MIDI commands to the FM3, and let the value sync back to the editor?
were you planning on plugging the Akai directly into the FM3 via USB? i don't think any gear works that way. USB requires a computer to host and communicate the data between devices. i think all gear works this way when it comes to USB.

were you planning on plugging the Akai directly into the FM3 via USB? i don't think any gear works that way. USB requires a computer to host and communicate the data between devices. i think all gear works this way when it comes to USB.
I'm looking for a simple solution that lets me turn physical knobs (e.g. one knob each for gain, bass, middle, treble, presence, MV) while dialing-in an amp in FM3-Edit. I'd like to hear any suggestions to get to that endpoint.

I'm looking for a simple solution that lets me turn physical knobs (e.g. one knob each for gain, bass, middle, treble, presence, MV) while dialing-in an amp in FM3-Edit. I'd like to hear any suggestions to get to that endpoint.
You can’t.

The FM3 is not capable of acting as a USB host, it’s only a peripheral. It’s per the USB specification. FM3-Edit acts as a dumb terminal to the FM3.

Thanks for the reply Greg.
I understand that plugging in a midi USB device to the FM3 will not work.

How about plugging in a midi USD device to your PC / Mac, Opening FM3 edit and mapping buttons and knobs from the USB midi device to buttons and knobs within FM3 Edit.
FM3 edit would then pass on that information to the physical FM3.

Does anyone know if that is doable (fingers crossed)?

Thanks for the reply Greg.
I understand that plugging in a midi USB device to the FM3 will not work.

How about plugging in a midi USD device to your PC / Mac, Opening FM3 edit and mapping buttons and knobs from the USB midi device to buttons and knobs within FM3 Edit.
FM3 edit would then pass on that information to the physical FM3.

Does anyone know if that is doable (fingers crossed)?

Sorry, man (I very much assume, for some reason) but I think that dog won't hunt. This system does not appear to work with external MIDI devices. The closest solution I can think of would involve pedals or switches via the FM3 or FC6 or 12.

There was a thread here some time ago about a software that could "remote control" Axe-Edit (for Axe Fx III) via midi.

I was really surprised it was possible.

But I've searched and can't find it...

Back
Top Bottom