Use two amps, less quality?

fisioaura

Inspired
Hello folks!
In the manual it says that when you use two amps at the same time the axe works in low resolution or something similar. Have you noticed this? Or it sounds the same? Thanks

The oversampling rate is cut in half when running two amps. It's probably not noticeable. Even when running at half, it's as fast or faster than every other product available.

when I'm reamping, I use one amp and one mono hires cab...
but that's easy right, cos I can then switch to the other amp / cab combination and run another take...
and then blend the tones in the mix..

live, I run two amps into a stereo cab block...

when you solo 'one side' of the chain and compare it with the hires equivalents, the difference is so small that I can't say that it's noticeable...

and even if there is a small difference.... cos some folk manage to hear things that I can't..
the tonal benefits of running a pair of amps/stereo cab are so huge that any loss of quality, noticeable or not, is completely nullified..

think less about what you stand to lose and more about what you stand to gain....

I have not done an extensive side by side comparison but I did do a quick check the other night and didn't hear any differences.

I have seen other posts on this and the impression I got from others using two sims was that the difference is very negligible.

The oversampling rate is cut in half when running two amps. It's probably not noticeable. Even when running at half, it's as fast or faster than every other product available.

Easily noticable for me. LQ is somehow bassier, HQ is more open sounding, more touch on the strings.
I wonder if I should call it just a different sound wich is caused by the different processing and wich I could iron out with the many controls of the amp block or if it's a loss of quality wich can not be compensated anymore with any settings.

Easily noticable for me. LQ is somehow bassier, HQ is more open sounding, more touch on the strings.
I wonder if I should call it just a different sound wich is caused by the different processing and wich I could iron out with the many controls of the amp block or if it's a loss of quality wich can not be compensated anymore with any settings.

Double blind test? :)
Or just switching back and forth?

I don't hear a difference but I'm not going to argue with those who claim they do. Heck, that new "learning modeler" undersamples (downsamples to 22.05 kHz) due to being so underpowered. So what do I know?

I don't hear a difference but I'm not going to argue with those who claim they do. Heck, that new "learning modeler" undersamples (downsamples to 22.05 kHz) due to being so underpowered. So what do I know?
not going to argue with you :) , but when it was introduced, I did some lengthy a/b tests and definitely could hear a difference and preferred hi-res, so "no two amp presets" for me ;) .

Ok, got it. Never been among the ones that hear that fine things, so I wondered how that could be.
Checked again with a new preset, all new from the scratch and with amp blocks and one cab block only. That way I cant hear any difference between the preset with one amp or with two.
Got to search where my goto preset is flawed. Mistake at my end, I'm sorry.

BTW I'm surprised how fast it started to sound real. Amp and cab only, even no reverb or anything else at all and without touching any vodoo parameters, good right out of the box.
Didn't realize that before, since I already had my gotos and never tried to start new.

so it internally oversamples and then downsamples to output at 48k? if so, it doesnt seem like much of a stretch to have the output able to be run at higher sampling rates via AES to solve problems for those of us who record at higher rates.

if you're keeping score...

Cliff: 1

"new learning modeler: 0

again.
play one, you might change that score to 1-1

EDIT: i hear the difference in one amp vs two as well.

the idea that the KPA downsamples to 22.05 begs for a bit of substantiation as it would seem to be really sonically obvious if that were the case. details?

With FW7 I never ever noticed a difference between a single or dual amp setup (which I use very often). Maybe someone who does could prepare some sound samples for comparison? I seriously doubt there will be a noticeable difference but who knows? I'm always willing to listen to other people's sound and tone.

I hear a very slight difference, but it gets lost in blending. For me, I don't hear one is bassier, I just hear more detail in the overtones which is not always a good thing depending on the amp.

I always use one amp block only but in previous firmware versions I checked it and I could hear differences. The high res sounded more open to me and the low end a bit tighter and more detailed.

I always use one amp block only but in previous firmware versions I checked it and I could hear differences. The high res sounded more open to me and the low end a bit tighter and more detailed.

I compared a few patches last night and this nicely describes what I heard with overdriven patches. With clean patches I could not hear a difference.

Terry.

Again I may ask: did you do a double blind test when comparing?

Auto-suggestion's a bitch ;)

If you are specifically listening for the difference going back and forth you can hear it. But it is subtle and I can't tell the difference otherwise, with or without other instruments playing.

That said, I too prefer to use 1 amp.

Back
Top Bottom