Use two amps, less quality?

Again I may ask: did you do a double blind test when comparing?

Auto-suggestion's a bitch ;)

Yes and I actually spent quite some time at the moment checking it. When I checked it I think it was with firmware v5 but I have not checked since then though. Maybe in v7.00 the difference is less noticeable. I also notice the difference between using 2 mono high res cab blocks vs a stereo low res cab block.

Yes and I actually spent quite some time at the moment checking it. When I checked it I think it was with firmware v5 but I have not checked since then though. Maybe in v7.00 the difference is less noticeable. I also notice the difference between using 2 mono high res cab blocks vs a stereo low res cab block.

What specifically do you hear different?

What specifically do you hear different?

If you are asking about the cab blocks, it is not dramatic but I find that using 2 high res mono cabs produces a more natural "spacial" sound (specially affecting the very low end and the top end). Btw, I don't use factory IRs but mostly IRs Redwirez and Ownhammer. I don't know if that makes a difference.

I've used 2 amps in every preset since scenes were introduced and I didn’t know it was a difference in resolution when using dual amps. Only one amp is active in each scene.

Today I tried this with my poweramp/cab. In high gain patches the difference was noticable, eg) ts808->FAS Modern/Mark IIC+, the higher resolution sounds more open/less gain and the CPU usage droped 2-4%. I can’t tell which one sounds better, it just sounds a little bit different.

I'm not ditching dual amps presets because of the the versatility and the power of seamless amp switching

same as others mentioned above...if you try to hear and listen carefully you can hear a difference (with right monitors, in the right room). so it really is subtle. i too would not recommend recording with 2 amp blocks. live, imo it wouldnt matter to anyone.

Last edited:
same as others mentioned abow...if you try to hear and listen carefully you can hear a difference (with right monitors, in the right room). so it really is subtle. i too would not recommend recording with 2 amp blocks. live, imo it wouldnt matter to anyone.

This. Unless you've got a Vai hanging out in your audience, no one will have an F'n clue in the mix.
...probably wouldn't be able to pick out the difference in a recorded mix either, but hey.

Does this 'loss in quality of sound' happen while using only 1 Amp with 2 UR stereo Cab blocks as well? What about 1 Amp with 1 UR stereo Cab block?
Thanks, this is an important topic for me.

Does this 'loss in quality of sound' happen while using only 1 Amp with 2 UR stereo Cab blocks as well? What about 1 Amp with 1 UR stereo Cab block?
Thanks, this is an important topic for me.

There is one DSP dedicated only for the amps. The resolution mode of the amp block -> 1 block = high, 2 blocks = normal, will not be affected by any other block

This is where Cliff's honesty comes a cropper... If he'd simply called single Amp "Higher" and dual Amp "Highest", these people who can count the overtones on a whisper might never have worried themselves sick.

Just remember: there are people who'd bet their house on the efficacy of homeopathy. This difference is inaudible. If it isn't, I challenge you to present a double-blind A/B with a lossless format.

Does this down sample happen when two amp blocks is used, but one of them is muted, too?
the moment a 2nd amp block is put in, yes. it's not going to enable/disable something due to Bypass status, same as with CPU usage being raised when a block is put in the layout.

you'll only hear the difference if you really try to hear it.

Here you have this interesting article that talks about aliasing, oversampling .... and fractals!
Specifically talks about rendering two-dimensional images but much of this is applicable to sound waves.
I highlight this paragraf that explains why the difference between making oversampling of x16 or x8 is almost indistinguishable :
"The effects of oversampling follow one of the general rules of life, the Law of Diminishing Returns. A few extra points of oversampling, like 2X in each direction (for a total of 4X the number of points) gives a significant effect, while going to 3X gives a little more effect but not as much, and going to 4X gives an even smaller improvement. Generally, oversampling beyond 5X (25 samples per output pixel) doesn't give enough of a noticeable improvement to justify the 25X increase in rendering time."
http://www.hpdz.net/TechInfo/AntiAliasing.htm

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom