Use Tonematch to Make One Guitar Sound Like Another! (And Other Unorthodox Uses)

LKnight4949

Inspired
So the power of this black box is mindblowing obviously. But this little tonematch feature takes it to another level.

I have this really junky bass. Sounds muddy, has no life to it. Just a total piece of junk. So I was thinking about buying myself a new one in light of the new bass amps that are coming out with FW13. Then one day I got this crazy idea.

Why not tonematch the direct signal of this crappy bass with a high quality DI track recorded through high quality equipment?

So I popped a tonematch block before anything else in my preset and ran an FX Loop into it to pick up the direct signal from one of the outputs of my DAW. I went through all the usual tonematching steps by playing the parts and note ranges as closely as possible.

Now this bass sounds freaking amazing. It sounds like a DI track from a completely different bass. Now I put this tonematch block in the beginning of my main bass preset to simulate a high quality bass going through high quality DI equipment and the bass tones I'm getting are awesome!

Thanks Fractal, you just saved me a bunch of money.

Any other unorthodox uses for the tonematch block that you guys have come up with? I know there are a lot of creative people on this board.

Some guys around here have been into tonematching guitars just like you did, but apparently it didn´t work out as well as expected.

Some guys around here have been into tonematching guitars just like you did, but apparently it didn´t work out as well as expected.

Truth be told, this bass sounded so bad to begin with that ANY improvement over the sound of it would have probably blown my mind.

apparently the upcoming firmware 13 will be better with bass guitar because of new amps and the new Ultra Res technology is supposed to be a big improvement in the low end

PreEQ too.

You can't polish a turd (for the most part), but there are plenty of tricks at our immediate disposal now.

I tried tonematching guitars, the results were bad. A separate tonematch for each string would work better but even then it would not be able to model the interaction that happens between pickups, passive circuits, strings and wood, the guitar and the loudspeakers and so on. My best bet is to buy some more kinds of guitars to have everything at hand.

I tried tonematching guitars, the results were bad. A separate tonematch for each string would work better but even then it would not be able to model the interaction that happens between pickups, passive circuits, strings and wood, the guitar and the loudspeakers and so on. My best bet is to buy some more kinds of guitars to have everything at hand.

Maybe it's working better with bass because a lot of it is single notes?

i had no problems doing the guitar tonematch, and the results i got were great. no complaints. the only thing you have to really do correctly is play the parts fairly close to the soundclip. and using the same tuning helps. your pick also makes a difference in the highs. once you make the TM, use smoothing to adjust the tone. try 50% for example.

here is the link to the wavs we used to make the TM of guitars:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5622773/Guitar vault.zip

Back
Top Bottom