Use regular wah still or axe fx's? Why?

While we are not due anything and the wah is certainly good, I think it has been the most non-improved function of the Axe Fx. Strangely because it is a bread and butter for most guitarists. Again it's good and could be great.

I would like to say again that I do not feel slighted or due anything. Just a humble request from a raving Fractal fan/ambassador.

Others have said this and I agree, first, make sure your wah adds 1 or 2 db at its output when kicked on, and second (especially) play with the taper curve, don't let it just be straight/linear like default, since real vintage wah-wahs reputedly have an audio taper curve, which is different from linear. Here's a link to older post on that. Scott and Yek have it right as well, where you set the minimum and maximum matters for the most vocal sweep sound. Maybe Matt can weigh in with some info on using resonance and tracking...

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...-wah-wah-secrets-especially-taper-curves.html

Reactions: yek
I need to mess with settings more.....but just can;t seem to get it to where I want to use the Wah on the Axe Fx II. It's usable.....just doesn't inspire me to step on it I guess........

I use my Dunlop Crybaby...
but that's only because I need save modifier resorces for more interesting stuff rather than use them to replicate something I have already..
if there were more modifiers.. say 32 for example.. then I may be more inclined to use the Axe Wah

Others have said this and I agree, first, make sure your wah adds 1 or 2 db at its output when kicked on[/url]
yes. that's a really important detail. back in the Ultra days I dialed in a Black Horsie of a friend of mine and the final tweak to really get it there was a slight output boost. tried the same with my old Cry Baby and same thing... output needs to be boosted a little as that's what a real Wah does as well.

I use my Dunlop Crybaby...
but that's only because I need save modifier resorces for more interesting stuff rather than use them to replicate something I have already..
if there were more modifiers.. say 32 for example.. then I may be more inclined to use the Axe Wah

this is way out of date... the Crybaby is long gone..
I use the wah in the Axe now and have done for several years..
this is for several reasons...
- the wah in the Axe is sounding great now [I spent a while messing with it to boost a little and it needed to be a little dirtier]
- an FV-500 weighs less than a Dunlop, which matters cos I have to cut every kilo possible when I fly with my rig
- when I'm running presets that don't need a wah, that XP can now be assigned to something else.. greater flexibility

I have a vox wah and plug it in backwards to do the Gilmour echoes seagull/elephant noises lol. But I usually use the fractal wah with my Moog expression controller. Not a big wah guy, but sometimes the real wah is nice depending on the situation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom