Use Mesa TC50 with Axe FX in 4cm but use cab modeling

Just use the mesa in the fx loop of the axe. If you want to use it without cab, you'll have to pull the power tubes out, or have to use a high wattage 8 ohm resistor. Be carefull. Tube power amps without load (speakers or high wattage resistor) can fry their output transformer.

Just use the mesa in the fx loop of the axe. If you want to use it without cab, you'll have to pull the power tubes out, or have to use a high wattage 8 ohm resistor. Be carefull. Tube power amps without load (speakers or high wattage resistor) can fry their output transformer.
Guess I'm not understanding the implementation that you are trying to convey?

Use axe fx send to mesa in, mesa send(if it has an fx loop)to axe fx return. Then use axe fx out to frfr monitor. If this is what u mean.

The TC50 has a line out no? I don't believe there is an easy way to route it as 4cm is taking up all the inputs and outputs already. You'd need another FXLoop block in the axe. Something like the Helix could probably do this. There may be a way to get creative with routing via Left and Right though. I think eventually whenever the fractal active load box that will have cab sims on it will be the best way to go for this.

Apparantly you can just turn your speakers off so this should not be a problem.
No. This is for the cab clone. Yes you can turn speakers off, but that signal is sauced by the cab clone out. Wouldn't be good to basically run a cab sim into another cab sim

I almost answered this a few hours ago and then had to think about it. Here's what I saw as the problem:

If you run the AxeFX just for FX (no amp model), in 4CM, I can't see a way (using AxeFX routing) to include the power section of the TC50 in the signal going to the cab IR. You can't route the 4CM to insert effects between the power amp and cab.

But if you can run an amp model in the AxeFX and turn off only the preamp section? If so, you could run a shunt to an amp block (power amp sim only), cab block, and FX Loop block.

I don't have the AxeFX anymore so I can't build the grid myself. I might not be explaining it quite right, but hopefully you or someone else can get what I mean lol.

I almost answered this a few hours ago and then had to think about it. Here's what I saw as the problem:

If you run the AxeFX just for FX (no amp model), in 4CM, I can't see a way (using AxeFX routing) to include the power section of the TC50 in the signal going to the cab IR. You can't route the 4CM to insert effects between the power amp and cab.

But if you can run an amp model in the AxeFX and turn off only the preamp section? If so, you could run a shunt to an amp block (power amp sim only), cab block, and FX Loop block.

I don't have the AxeFX anymore so I can't build the grid myself. I might not be explaining it quite right, but hopefully you or someone else can get what I mean lol.

The preamp section is what O want, not the poweramp section of the Mesa. Looks like a Torpedo live is in the near future for me. One of the wishes for the Axe Fx III is more effects loops and routing options!

The preamp section is what O want, not the poweramp section of the Mesa. Looks like a Torpedo live is in the near future for me. One of the wishes for the Axe Fx III is more effects loops and routing options!

Ah okay I see. Yeah that should work. Another option is to do a tone match of the TC-50, but I'm sure that's not what you're looking for. ;)

Edit: Yet another option would be the Fractal LP-B1. If it was out. :)

Last edited:
What about this idea? Run it all in normal 4CM except at the end of your patch you have the signal split left and right for output 1 using vol/pan blocks. Output 1 Left will have no cab block and output 1 Right will have a cab block. Use the vol/pan block to pan one to 100% L and the other to 100% R.

So the signal chain would be like this.

Guitar > axe fx front input > (fx loop block) axe fx output 2 > Mesa TC50 front > Mesa fx loop out > axe fx input 2 (fx return) > axe fx output 1 Left > Mesa fx return

Then....

Axe fx output 1 Right (with cab block) > FOH

Back
Top Bottom