Use GCP expression pedal with Axe?

Hi all,

Is it possible to use the GCP expression pedal with the AXE 3?

Thanks. I can't seem to get it to work.

Just waiting for my FC 12.

What is a GCP expression pedal?

Have you read the owners manual section about expression pedals?

Are you asking about the GCP, an expression pedal or both?

Both will "work", but the GCP is "old tech" and has limitations on what can be done.

Axe Fx II XL here. Yes, plugged into Pedal 1 - 2 on GCP rear panel (i use Roland EV-5 and Ernie Ball VP JR). Not only as wha or pedal volume, you can switch on/off blocks and control every parameter wich has a little symbol in the middle of it (i mean "controller")

Mark Day tutorial

Last edited:
Are you asking about the GCP, an expression pedal or both?

Both will "work", but the GCP is "old tech" and has limitations on what can be done.
The GCP is working. I have two Mission Ep 1 pedals. I can’t seem to find a way get into the Axe 3. They plug into the GCP expression pedal inputs.

The GCP is working. I have two Mission Ep 1 pedals. I can’t seem to find a way get into the Axe 3. They plug into the GCP expression pedal inputs.
Did you calibrate the pedals on the GCP?

If they calibrated correctly they will work.

See of pg 19 of the GCP manual. You need to enable them and assign the midi function. Most likely you'll assign these to certain CC values and then on the Axe Fx assign the same CC#s to the External Controllers you want.

Have you used these pedals successfully before?

Have you read the Axe-Fx owners manual explaining how to use expression pedals?

Hi all. I truly appreciate your replies. I do. But don’t ask me Mickey Mouse questions like did I read the manual. Or are you using TRS cables. I have used the Axe fx for 7 years. Over half the earth. All manuals are now online and of course I read them. I used the GCP with the Axe 2. But then switched to the 3. There is no spot in the 3 that connects the expression pedals hooked to the GCP that I can find. The midi commands in the 3 allow fc 12 and rear inputs. I am just waiting for the FC 12 to arrive if they’d ever get off their collective asses. If no one knows or it’s not possible. That’s fine. I’ll just use the IA switches and hook an LFO to the wah until the FC arrives. Frankly. It’s now become obvious that the units, except for IA, are incompatible. Well, we don’t need blacksmiths anymore. Btw. For anyone who needs it. My work around was setting up a separate preset that uses an LFO to sweep the wah. You can also use the ADSR sweep as well. The pitch sweep was not so convincing. But the random sweep is actually kind of fun. Like an auto wah. Now, you will have to set up a separate preset. But all this is just a stop gap until the FC arrives. Or not. It’s up to you.

Attachments

• 32409D7D-B4D1-41A4-833C-0E1AD7C178BB.jpeg
    32409D7D-B4D1-41A4-833C-0E1AD7C178BB.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1
Hi all. I truly appreciate your replies. I do. But don’t ask me Mickey Mouse questions like did I read the manual. Or are you using TRS cables. I have used the Axe fx for 7 years. Over half the earth. All manuals are now online and of course I read them. I used the GCP with the Axe 2. But then switched to the 3. There is no spot in the 3 that connects the expression pedals hooked to the GCP that I can find. The midi commands in the 3 allow fc 12 and rear inputs. I am just waiting for the FC 12 to arrive if they’d ever get off their collective asses. If no one knows or it’s not possible. That’s fine. I’ll just use the IA switches and hook an LFO to the wah until the FC arrives. Frankly. It’s now become obvious that the units, except for IA, are incompatible. Well, we don’t need blacksmiths anymore. Btw. For anyone who needs it. My work around was setting up a separate preset that uses an LFO to sweep the wah. You can also use the ADSR sweep as well. The pitch sweep was not so convincing. But the random sweep is actually kind of fun. Like an auto wah. Now, you will have to set up a separate preset. But all this is just a stop gap until the FC arrives. Or not. It’s up to you.
First off, how are we supposed to know what you know? You are asking a question, something relatively simple. Don’t get defensive over us asking you questions so we can help you.

The settings in the 3 should be the same as the 2. No idea how someone with 7 years of Axe2 experience can’t do the same thing in the 3.

Maybe explain what you’re wanting to control, how you’re connecting it, and the model of the pedal, then we can help.

“Help it doesn’t work” is so vague, of course we need to ask those questions.

There is no spot in the 3 that connects the expression pedals hooked to the GCP that I can find.
This part is confusing. What CC# is your GCP pedal set to?

Set that number to the External Controller of your choice, exactly like you would on the Axe2.

But don’t ask me Mickey Mouse questions like did I read the manual. Or are you using TRS cables.

First off, how are we supposed to know what you know? You are asking a question, something relatively simple. Don’t get defensive over us asking you questions so we can help you.

Exactly!

If you expect us to know these things, you need to state that. You have almost ZERO history of posting on the forum, so we don't "know" you or what your experience level might be.

The only way for us to gauge that is the you either post that information or we ask clarifying questions.

If you can't deal with that, you aren't going to get much help...

Often the answers to those questions is "no" or "what's that?"

Back
Top Bottom