• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Use Axe-Fx III as in-ear mixer?

CodePoet

Power User
Haven't tried it but was wondering if this could work. When getting an in-ear mix from a venue it's usually mono. I'd love to hear my guitar in stereo. Was looking at getting a little external mixer to mix an output of the III with the board mix (sans guitar) and mix my own. But was wondering if I could do it all within the III and forgo the external mixer.

Proposed setup:
Out 1 --> main board / PA
Out 4 --> In-ear transmitter
In 4 --> board mix (sans guitar)

If I set up my blocks to merge my guitar output and the In 4 input with a mixer block going to Out 4 (the in-ear transmitter) - would that work without any issues? Also, could I set up a global parameter to hold the In 4 level mix so I could adjust the mix on the fly and keep that mix across presets?

Thanks for any help or ideas.

CodePoet

Power User
I have this exact setup. Not sure which ins/outs I use of the top of my head, but it works great.

Great - and do you have a way to keep a global mix between your Axe-Fx and the returned board mix? How do you have that implemented?

Chad Beattie

Experienced
I ditched my external mixer also and do this all in the III. Pretty much like you have stated. The only issue is not having a global mixer block. Ive stuck to using a single preset for those gigs. I adjust at sound check and save. One thing I started looking at is using a few volume blocks instead of mixer block that could be saved globally. But need to do more testing with that.

As an added bonus, I have a Bluetooth midi plugged into the III. And then made a touch OSC layout for my phone. I connect to axe via Bluetooth and adjust my mix that way. For row gain/pan on the mixer I set modifiers to external controllers. Then the touch OSC layout sends midi commands that I have set for the controllers. The layout is a simple set of faders and knobs for panning.
This saves from having to try and adjust mix via front panel. Works great.

Here is a pic of that.

D644C1F2-46D9-4C9D-8471-38008669244C.png

CodePoet

Power User
Chad - very cool stuff! I can't get away with a single preset so that vector is out for me.

After playing with a preset it looks like the thing holding the plan back is the lack of a global modifier for the mix controls. I could hook up a couple external dials and do it that way I suppose. I'm debating doing that or just using a small line mixer.

If anyone has any other thoughts or ideas please chime in - thanks!

Mark Scrivener

Inspired
Yep, I've done this as well. Played a gig in the park this summer with a singer/songwriter. Vocal, acoustic and electric guitar was it. City provided sound guy and PA, but we didn't know if there would be decent monitors, so I racked up the Fx-III with an IEM transmitter and the wireless RX for a vocal mic and set up a preset something like:

out 1 - elec guitar
out 2 - acoustic guitar
out 3 - vocal mic (wireless RX came into the Fx-III and we applied a little comp and reverb)
out 4 - to IEM Tx

I then set up a global page so I could us the A B C D knobs to adjust the mix in our IEMs. At the gig I just handed the sound guy 3 XLRs labeled Vox, E Guitar, Ac Guitar and told him we didn't need anything in the monitor. Worked like a charm.

IMG_20190730_174901.jpg

CodePoet

Power User
Sounds good! So you did this all on one preset? I think my sticking point is keeping the mix across presets.

biskitboy

Power User
Great - and do you have a way to keep a global mix between your Axe-Fx and the returned board mix? How do you have that implemented?

I'm typically patched into an Allen-Heath ME-1 or I take 2-XLR's directly in and use an iPhone app on our bands Qu-Pac mixer to set the rest of the band mix.

Mark Scrivener

Inspired
Sounds good! So you did this all on one preset? I think my sticking point is keeping the mix across presets.
I did change presets at one point in the set. But yes, you lose your mix at that point, so best avoided if possible. Fortunately the Fx-III has tons of processing power, and with 4 of everything per block you should be able to get just about everything in the realm of "normal" guitar sounds in a single preset. Bizarre effects are another matter....

666was999

Fractal Fanatic
You can put an eq block before the output and link it as a global block. That way you can control sound, volume and balance easily over all presets.
One thing to consider. When you change to a different preset you get a short audio gap.

Chad Beattie

Experienced
You can put an eq block before the output and link it as a global block. That way you can control sound, volume and balance easily over all presets.
One thing to consider. When you change to a different preset you get a short audio gap.

Can you adjust gain/balance for each row?

Top Bottom