USB WILL NOT WORK

I've had to go into Device Manager before and uninstall USB ports, then do a refresh and let the PC reload the USB drivers.
(for other peripherals, not the Axe)

after that, try to reload the FAS USB driver.

I have the same issue with my computer. The problem is that your computer is "trying to be smart". What it's doing is trying to use it's driver, which obviously doesn't work with the axe, so it then shuts down the USB port. What works for me is to instantly stop the computer from trying to use it's driver. That gives the axe time to connect with the computer and then you can install the driver. I feel your frustration...I can't use my main computer because it instantly disables the USB port. On my friends computer, I did what I already explained and now I can use it at will w/out issues.

How do you instantly stop the computer from trying to use it's driver?

UPDATE

I went and bought a new USB 2.0 cable from the store. Still getting "Driver Install Error Code 105: Unable to communicate with Fractal Audio Systems"

Also, I've tried to install the Axe on 3 different computers now. I've gotten the same exact result on each computer. "Driver Install Error Code 105: Unable to communicate with Fractal Audio Systems" So I'm starting to think it's something within the Axe.

When you reinstalled windows, how did you do it?
did you just do an install over the existing system ?

or did you wipe the system and start from scratch?
do you get any info in the * Administrative Tools * Event viewer * ?
Also what version of windows are you running ?

Buy a powered USB-hub. Many laptops (PC's) run's out of juice.
I ran into the exact same problem with my Dell.

When you reinstalled windows, how did you do it?
did you just do an install over the existing system ?

or did you wipe the system and start from scratch?
do you get any info in the * Administrative Tools * Event viewer * ?
Also what version of windows are you running ?

I wipe it out and started from scratch.

There is a bunch of shortcuts in the "Administrative Tools Event viewer."

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate.

So if you clear the event and try to reinstall the drivers you should get some error code or something that might be at some clue ..

and about the power problem, I assume you have tried different usb ports and that you unplugged other devices in doing so,
so the power should be enough in those situations. If it works with only the axe hooked up to a usb port, and not work when connecting all the other devices such as printer scanners etc .. then you know it's a power thing.

what kind of other usb devices are you using ?

oh yeah .. I forgot is it USB 2 or USB 3 ?

So if you clear the event and try to reinstall the drivers you should get some error code or something that might be at some clue ..

and about the power problem, I assume you have tried different usb ports and that you unplugged other devices in doing so,
so the power should be enough in those situations. If it works with only the axe hooked up to a usb port, and not work when connecting all the other devices such as printer scanners etc .. then you know it's a power thing.

what kind of other usb devices are you using ?

oh yeah .. I forgot is it USB 2 or USB 3 ?

I've already tried it with everything else unplugged.
I have plugged in a mouse, keyboard, Scarlett Interface, and the Axe.
The ports on the PC are 2.0. I'm using a 2.0 cable. And a Fractal employee told me the Axe is 2.0

Also, what exactly do you mean by "clear the event."

that was only a suggestion to make it display fewer events making it easier to identify an error code if given any,
but you can just see the date and time for the event .. ..

this is a long shot but you could try to create another user account with admin priv
and see if you can install it on that login...

oh yeah and you wrote that you had tried it on 3 different windows machines with the same result ?

in that case I'm wondering if the axe is the problem .. although it's very unusual that problems like that are the result of a hardware error ..
but with the same thing happening on three different computers ..

maybe fractal has some way of diagnose the function of the output / input ports on the axe ?
some diagnose software you can run and send them a report file or something ..

Man i really feel for you.. i do suspect its a windows USB layer that's gone funky.. i had the same issue with an NI Maschine controller.. took ages to sort it out.

Anyway try toggling the USB mode on your Axe FX to to OFF, then back to ON.. set SEND SYSEX to ALL, and toggle the MIDI thru as well, and restart the Axe.
Also, disconnect all midi cables from the Axe, and leave the MFC out as well..
You will get to run Axe Edit eventually, hang in there ;) Surely thru the Forum we can find someone in your town who can have a crack at it for you if this drags on.

that was only a suggestion to make it display fewer events making it easier to identify an error code if given any,
but you can just see the date and time for the event .. ..

this is a long shot but you could try to create another user account with admin priv
and see if you can install it on that login...

Making another user account didn't work.

I ran into the 105 problem several years ago. The fix that ended up working for me after trying all the suggested fixes was to uninstall everything Fractal related, and then remove all the Fractal Registry entries that were left over and then reinstall all the software. I don't think I've seen anyone else need to try that method so perhaps it was just coincidence, but maybe worth a try at this point.

Last edited:
OP:
Do you know how to temporarily "disable windows signed driver crap"? I had to do that (mainly because of my windows install, but it worked . It's worth a try.
You can google it. Only takes 2 minutes to do. Works for one restart only.

You start by:
going to pc settings/then general/ then all the way at the bottom of the list is advanced startup-restart troubleshoot. rest is self explanatory.
Can't hurt.

OP:
Do you know how to temporarily "disable windows signed driver crap"? I had to do that (mainly because of my windows install, but it worked . It's worth a try.
You can google it. Only takes 2 minutes to do. Works for one restart only.

You start by:
going to pc settings/then general/ then all the way at the bottom of the list is advanced startup-restart troubleshoot. rest is self explanatory.
Can't hurt.

Didn't work. Still got error code 105.

I ran into the 105 problem several years ago. The fix that ended up working for me after trying all the suggested fixes was to uninstall everything Fractal related, and then remove all the Fractal Registry entries that were left over and then reinstall all the software. I don't think I've seen anyone else need to try that method so perhaps it was just coincidence, but maybe worth a try at this point.

Where can i find the "Fractal Registry entries"?

Since you have tried on three separate machines and even with a fresh clean Windows install it would seem there must be something wrong with your Axe. Rather than continuing down the rabbit hole I would suggest you open a trouble ticket with support. For one you will get someone to help you and not be pulled in numerous directions. Secondly, you may need to send your unit in and they will help you with that. It would be better to have one focal point as it seems you have tried just about everything all the generous members have suggested.

Here is the FAS support link: Fractal Audio - Powered by Kayako Help Desk Software

I feel your pain and hope you get it resolved soon. When you do you will be glad you stayed with it as this box is truly magical. Hopefully you wont give up and start away uneasy you poor old sod. :)

I had a similar problem a while back after installing a USB driver for an interface. I uninstalled the interface driver and everything went back to normal.

I had a bitch of a time installing the USB driver about a year ago when I got my Axe-FX II. It took me a whole evening of attempt after failed attempt on my Win 7 machine. I am going from foggy memory here, but I believe what worked for me was the driver installer exe unpacks the driver files into a temp directory and for some reason my win installer did not work correctly. I ultimately manually installed the driver by pointing windows to the correct file in that extracted folder. I am a little hesitant to try to install the latest version because my current driver is working OK. Just not sure if latest Axe-Edit will work with the old driver.

Back
Top Bottom