USB Type A

Turning on the power to charge wirelesses and phones should be easy enough assuming the port was correctly implemented to spec to start with (not something that should be assumed etc?), but alas...

This is a good point. Assuming there's nothing wrong with the hardware implementation, would people be willing to install custom firmware to enable the port (power and host driver for CDC ACM devices)?

This is a good point. Assuming there's nothing wrong with the hardware implementation, would people be willing to install custom firmware to enable the port (power and host driver for CDC ACM devices)?
It would be Fractal having to implement the change and offer it.

Note that the FM3's hardware MIDI port implementation is missing a resistor which allows some MIDI powered devices to overheat, maybe something similar with the USB implementation, as the PS is more than capable I've been told by those who have opened their FM3's up.

Also could be a memory/storage issue?

Anyways, we've been asking since the FM3 launched with no response, so it's not going to happen IMO.

Last edited:
It would be Fractal having to implement the change and offer it.

Note that the FM3's hardware MIDI port implementation is missing a resistor which allows some MIDI powered devices to overheat, maybe something similar with the USB implementation, as the PS is more than capable I've been told by those who have opened their FM3's up.

Also could be a memory issue?

Anyways, we've been asking since the FM3 launched with no response, so it's not going to happen IMO.

I can make it happen, assuming the hardware implementation is correct. But I'm not going to offer something that no one will use.

Using the onboard USB port to power other devices could potentially lead to ground loop issues. Much better to use an isolated power source like an old phone charger instead. It could provide much more power as well since the USB 2.0 data port would likely be limited to 500 mA or less.

500ma is plenty of current to charge wireless devices, phones, tablets, or power a small utility light etc.

500ma is plenty of current to charge wireless devices, phones, tablets, or power a small utility light etc.
Dunno. With my Samsung S22+, my old 2.1 Amp USB charger barely ticks up the battery while the phone is running.

A great use would be for a USB mini flash drive, on which you can store and playback audio backing tracks that you're able to play along with. Also, a scratchpad recorder would be nice, for when your noodling around and you come up with something you'd like to quickly and easily record and save for later use.

Last edited:
I'd quite like to see the USB A interface be configured to utilise a USB storage device and playing backing tracks/loop player so you could practice without the need to hook up a computer also, great minds think a like Mike :)

Back
Top Bottom