USB Type A

There are a ton of pretty awesome things that port could have been used for. It doesn’t have any of them. Is what it is, just pretend it never existed.

I think USB Bluetooth adapter for use with a mobile app editor was potentially floated in the past, but probably a lot of work involved in making something like that happen.

Quotes from Fractal:

"The USB-A connector is for a FLASH drive to import/ export presets. However it’s currently not working yet." [39]
“The USB-A port can be whatever we want but it requires writing drivers (or buying them and hooking them into the OS). If the demand is great enough we can look into these things. Peripheral drivers are a lot easier than host drivers and USB-A is host.” [40]
"The USB-A port can provide power if enabled. At this point the port is disabled and reserved for future expansion." [41]
"The USB A port is NOT designed to be connected to a computer. It is reserved for future expansion." (..) "We also looked into the ramifications of doing this and it WON'T damage anything. It just won't work."[42]

I think USB Bluetooth adapter for use with a mobile app editor was potentially floated in the past, but probably a lot of work involved in making something like that happen.
That was floated by users dreaming up what they wished it could be. Fractal said what they considered it to be for, “a FLASH drive to import/ export presets”, but there seems to not have been enough demand for it.

Honestly I don't expect they will ever do anything with it. The Axe-Fx 3 and the FM9 don't have it. So the change of getting a FM3-only peripheral looks slim. I would like if they just enabled power to it though as that could be useful for powering some things. Or charging your phone.

Enabling power would help a little to use for small led light or midi controller with low power consumption..

I use it to charge my phone.

(before anyone gets too excited, i'm not serious)

There are already many threads about that ... there were plans to enable wireless editing, usb power, ... nothing happened.
A simple port to import/export presets without a computer would also be nice and a lifesaver in a few situations ...

Turning on the power to charge wirelesses and phones should be easy enough assuming the port was correctly implemented to spec to start with (not something that should be assumed etc?), but alas...

Back
Top Bottom