USB to DAW recording = small wave in the track (low volume)

Chiguete

Experienced
I know this has been talked a lot but I would like to know if it's normal to have a small wave in the track (low volume) and then after recording you have to normalize it to have good volume compared to the backing track? I remember that when I was using a crappy external audio interface when recording on the AX8 I was able to have tracks with bigger waves using the SPDIF.

Are you referring to a recording of say, Output 1, or the DI signal? DI signals are inherently lower than processed signals. How high are the highest transients?

You mean a processed track, not a DI? You should adjust your presets so they have a peak level somewhere around -10dB. If you do that, you'll get a healthy level when you record them.

Yes, after you record, you have to mix the recording. Yes, commercial tracks (and most backing tracks) are a lot louder than any good raw recording.

Here is the preset that I'm working on and a screenshot of a recording before and after normalizing the track, above is the recorded track and bellow the backing track. Am doing something wrong or I'm ok and all of you guys have to normalize the track too in order to bump the volume?

Attachments

• before and after normalize track.png
    before and after normalize track.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Maiden Marshall Early 80s LP.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 4
No, it is not common to need to normalize your recording. Always check the level on the input meter in your DAW when recording. If that shows the signal is too low, increase the output level of your preset, preferably by adjusting the amp block. You can also use the meter in the output block to check your level.

Preferable to have a higher level coming in, but sometimes that doesn't happen. If you can increase the track's volume without hearing weird artifacts like hiss then you're probably okay.

Back
Top Bottom