USB static while recording into iPad

psychomanteum7

Inspired
Going XLR into my Scarlett works great, but was hoping to use the Axe as an interface. Not seeing any threads about this. Using same usb cable as the Scarlett...anyone running into this?

Sure.

Using an iPad Pro 2016 (large screen)

Auria Pro App

USB cable, (tried multiple)

Official Apple USB Camera connector

Objective:

Utilize Axe FX III as both a recording and audio interface.

Issue:

When I arm a track for recording and select USB, I receive the Axe Fx signal, but there is static in both the monitoring and the recording (just that track)

Troubleshooting:

I tried adjusting levels in the Axe in its settings, does not seem to have an effect.

I did not notice static in just regular playback through the Axe FX for the audio coming from the iPad.

Last edited:
Question: Is the iPad plugged in? I get this issue (with a different setup) if the iPad is receiving power through the camera connector, and it goes away as soon as I unplug it.

I’ve used the Axe III into both an iPad Air 2 via a camera connector and a newer Pro 11” using the USB C straight in. I used Audiobus 3 to set a low latency and it worked well.
I have on a couple of rare occasions had crackle / static, but forcing the apps on the iPad closed (swiping up) and then rebooting the iPad cleared the issue for me and the sound was OK again.

Hopefully this works for you too.

Cheers.

I know its been a while, but I tried again yesterday and static on the recording from usb on the axe, once again. No other apps open other than Auria, camera connector connected to power. I am now using the Focusrite Scarlett 18i, brand new usb that came with it. No issue when I tried it with Macbookpro and Garage Band.

I use the setup with Beatmaker to trigger samples all of the time. No problems.

Just a wild guess, but what is the CPU load on the preset?

The USB driver does increase the load a few percent and that could result in crackling...

Hi, I just experimented with my 2018 iPad Pro and Cubasis (I don't own Auria Pro). No problems recording using the AxeFXIII as the interface, both mono and stereo recording working fine with no noise. I'm using a usb cable from the AxeFXIII into the iPad Pro with a usb C to USB adapter from apple, using a USA Clean amp. Perhaps focus on the Auria Pro side of the equation, maybe too much input gain specified in Auria Pro? Perhaps increase the recording buffer in Auria Pro? Volume way high on the iPad?

Hi, I just experimented with my 2018 iPad Pro and Cubasis (I don't own Auria Pro). No problems recording using the AxeFXIII as the interface, both mono and stereo recording working fine with no noise. I'm using a usb cable from the AxeFXIII into the iPad Pro with a usb C to USB adapter from apple, using a USA Clean amp. Perhaps focus on the Auria Pro side of the equation, maybe too much input gain specified in Auria Pro? Perhaps increase the recording buffer in Auria Pro? Volume way high on the iPad?

Gain was at 0db. I’ll mess with the recording buffer. The strange thing is that it’s not audible while recording or just playing live with recording enabled. It’s only after it’s recorded, on playback.

I won’t do much more troubleshooting as I have XLRs hooked up to my focusrite now and it works fine. Next month I’m making the leap to Logic on my Macbook pro anyway.

Back
Top Bottom