AFIII USB recording with Axe FX III

birbajans94

Hi there,
I have the III on it’s way and I have been watching recording tutorials on YouTube. All of them mention reamping and nothing mentions recording your preset directly into the DAW.
The question I have is, can you not just record your created guitar sound from the Axe to the DAW without having to reamp? And if this is possible, how do you do it? I’m using Logic Pro X.
I would just like to pick my preset I created and record that sound straight into the DAW. All the videos I have found for USB recording use reamping.

Yes, you can definitely record direct without reamping. You just record your preset's processed output via USB Inputs 1 and 2 (for Output 1 left and right respectively) while playing. I'd recommend always recording a DI via USB Input 5 or 6 anyway just in case you want to reamp later. Capturing the performance is the big thing. You can always tweak the tone later via reamping if needed, but it's certainly not required.

See the AxeFX II (not III) manual for instructions about how use the AxeFX for recording. It has a “Axe-Fx II as a Computer Audio Interface” section. You’ll have to adjust the instructions a bit for the III but it shows the general idea of how to do it.

Like mr_fender said, you definitely don't have to reamp. I'm new to Fractal, but on the recording I did, there was no reamping done. The value is that you can change guitar sounds without re-recording. For me, I decide the sound I want and stick with it (for each guitar part). It's a lot of extra tracks to keep around for reamping (2 tracks for every guitar part). Probably a good idea though, just in case.

Like mr_fender said, you definitely don't have to reamp. I'm new to Fractal, but on the recording I did, there was no reamping done. The value is that you can change guitar sounds without re-recording. For me, I decide the sound I want and stick with it (for each guitar part). It's a lot of extra tracks to keep around for reamping (2 tracks for every guitar part). Probably a good idea though, just in case.
It often works better to record the DI into a channel on the same track as the processed channel(s). That way it keeps track of which DI goes with which processed recording, keeps the edits in sync when comping, and avoids superfluous extra tracks.

It often works better to record the DI into a channel on the same track as the processed channel(s). That way it keeps track of which DI goes with which processed recording, keeps the edits in sync when comping, and avoids superfluous extra tracks.
Not sure how that is possible. Do you mind explaining?

The question I have is, can you not just record your created guitar sound from the Axe to the DAW without having to reamp? And if this is possible, how do you do it? I’m using Logic Pro X.
I would just like to pick my preset I created and record that sound straight into the DAW. All the videos I have found for USB recording use reamping.
Sure, just select the Axe as the audio input device and then use Input 1-2 on a track to be the stereo output from the Axe.

PREFERENCES>AUDIO>INPUT DEVICE>Axe-Fx III
TRACK #>INPUT 1-2

Not sure how that is possible. Do you mind explaining?
If you want to record a DI, don't use channels 1/2 for input on one track and 5 on another track. Instead, use channels 1/5 (or 1, 2, and 5 to record stereo) and only record one track. As I mentioned above, there are some distinct advantages to this over multiple tracks.

Last edited:
If you want to record a DI, don't use channels 1/2 for input on one track and 5 on another track. Instead, use channels 1/5 (or 1, 2, and 5 to record stereo) and only record one track. As I mentioned above, there are some distinct advantages to this over multiple tracks.
Thanks!

I understand the concept, but don't see how it's possible. Here's a screenshot from Pro Tools:

1629563192193.png

I can't select multiple inputs...at least, not that I'm aware of.

Can't select more than one set of USB channels...

1629565515433.png

Am I missing something?

Btw, this is a PC...not sure if that matters.

It's been a while, but yes, I've done that in PT. It's basically the same procedure in any DAW. What exactly are you saying you can't do?

Look at the screenshot I posted above...you can only select one pair - 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, or 7/8 - you can't select 1,2 and 5. Once you select one pair, you can't select anything else. You can move your left and right - so, you can select 1/2 and then move 2 to 5. But you can't have two lefts and/or two rights.

As I mentioned above, simply select 1 and 5. Or create a multichannel bus (not stereo) if you need 1, 2, and 5. There really should be a section in the manual about recording that covers this kind of thing.

To me, it's easier to just record the DI to a separate track right next to the processed track. I just mute and collapse the track in the view and it's out of the way. Reaper also lets you easily combine tracks into folders for easy management as well. Everyone has their own workflow though.

To me, it's easier to just record the DI to a separate track right next to the processed track. I just mute and collapse the track in the view and it's out of the way. Reaper also lets you easily combine tracks into folders for easy management as well.
If you’re not doing any editing like comping, it’s not so important. Otherwise, it’s way better to use a single track.

Back
Top Bottom