USB recording settings

gdgross

Experienced
Hey all,

I recently refreshed my computer, not new, but a new HD and I decided to reinstall everything from scratch, since the old system seemed to be running pretty slowly.

Everything's working fine, except recoding the axe-II in Logic 9. Before the refresh, I was simply able to plug in and record at either 48k or 44.1k I wanted, no problems either way. I suppose logic was downsampling automatically? Setting the buffer size worked as it did with any other normal recording, big buffer size + big monitoring delays.

Anyway, I tried recording some tonight on the refreshed system, but I'm getting big delays no matter my buffer size or sample rate of the project, as well as lots of pops and clicks. Logic recognises the axe-ii no problem, but actual recording has a big delay.

I must have changes something in my computer or logic's settings on the old system that I've forgotten about - any ideas? I did try re installing the drivers, but no luck.

Logic 9, Yosemite, Macbook pro, etc.

Thanks guys, I seem to remember having had to mess with the audio.midi settings or core audio or something, but that was when i first got the axe-2...

Thanks!

Last edited:
Make sure you are using the ASIO driver in your Logic setup. I have this same problem with Sonar X3 on a PC.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/drivers/axe-fx-2/Axe-Fx_II_USB_Driver%20Setup_167.dmg

Also set Logic for 48kHz 24bit. It can resample on the fly, but it will cause much higher latency. The Axe is fixed at 48kHz 24bit. Make sure that you have software monitoring turned off and monitor directly from the Axe.

Thanks!

As usually, it was user error. I had my axe on a preset with high cpu utilization, and I always forget that the usb adds additional load on th cpu. Switched to a patch with less cpu usage and all was well.

Interesting to know about the latency when recording at 44.1 though. If I work at 48, I imagine I could get away with higher buffer settings when tracking then, and avoid the dreaded take-killer, aka the "logic can't keep up" message. :)

Back
Top Bottom