USB recording problem

pauliusmm

Fractal Fanatic
Hi all,
i am getting a weak guitar signal to my daw when i try to record AXE via USB. Where can i adjust to increase gain? my output knob on axe front panel is at max.
Also another question, is there a way to control guitar volume versus daw volume ?

Output knob on the front only adjusts the level going to the headphone jack and rear output jacks. You have to adjust the digital levels in the I/O menu or on the grid itself. Check the input and output level meters on the STATUS page of the UTILITY menu to make sure your levels are not too high or too low. As for the USB monitoring level, you have to adjust the output level from your DAW. There is no on-board adjustment of the return USB feed. Also, make sure you leave a bit of extra headroom when you setup your presets, since the extra audio input from the USB return feed can cause output clipping if it is too hot.

Ok, so what is the best place to adjust gain? output block (last block on the grid)? I bumped it from 0 db to +12 db to have a strong signal , that seems like a huge amount to me, is it normal?

You are not getting a "weak" signal. You are getting a bit-copy of the signal out of your guitar. Do not adjust the level. It may sound quiet because your guitar IS quiet when not amplified. When you put that signal back into the Axe-Fx it will be gained up and sound just like when you are playing through the Axe-Fx.

I mean i see the waveform when i record and it is way weaker than a backing track waveform.

Are you talking about the raw guitar signal or the processed signal? If the processed signal level is low turn up the level in the amp block or using the input trim on your DAW.

I mean i see the waveform when i record and it is way weaker than a backing track waveform.

This is correct and as it should be. Send it back in to the Axe FX for reamping and it fattens right back up. I was worried first time I did it to, but it works flawlessly.

Start with a factory preset when setting your I/O levels. With your input gain setup correctly (just barely tickling the red input LEDs), the factory presets should give you a good strong recording signal from USB inputs 1 and 2 (output 1 left and right). Use that as a reference for setting the levels for your own presets to avoid gain staging issues.

Im recording processed signal. Do i lose something if i increase gain in output block ?
P
Are you talking about the raw guitar signal or the processed signal? If the processed signal level is low turn up the level in the amp block or using the input trim on your DAW.

Like Cliff already mentioned, turn up the level in the amp block until you get the desired signal. The input should almost tickle the red in the I/O menu on the Axe-FX. If you are not clipping the output then you have more room to go up.

Back
Top Bottom