USB recording, handling latency

Munty

Hi folks.

I know this is a difficult one to solve in a forum, but I've had some issues around recording and playback using the FX 3 and Logic. It's not usually how I work, I prefer a DI line, but I thought I'd give it a go. Got to try everything once right?

I couldn't get around the latency, the Logic IO plugin reported no delay at all no matter how I set things up, and while things sounded great while I was recording of course things were actually miles out of sync. There's a great chap on youtube who's gone through his set up briefly, but he's using a different DAW.

Does anyone have an FX-Logic-USB check list for getting this perfected?

Many thanks.

Not into Logic but my experience with Reaper on WIN10 with AFX2 & AFX3, if it can help.
3 use cases:
  • using only AFX3 as unique audio interface,
  • or using my XR18 aggregated with AFX3 as 2nd audio interface with Asio4ALL
  • or using XR18 as unique interface and AFX3 into line in of the XR18

in all these 3 cases I run a RTL of 2ms to 2,6 ms into Reaper. So no latency issue.

@Munty Have you found the issue and been able to solve? I'm in Logic as well, having the FX3 plugged straight via USB. The top track is the reamp, bottom is DI. No effects or monitoring is enabled while recording.

Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 8.51.24 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-30 at 9.22.30 AM.png

When using only AFX 3 as audio interface I put the buffer at 32 or 64 samples, depending on the VSTI I use (EZ drummer2, EZ Keys).
Typically plauer with 64 samples with EZ drummer and largely no pb, ok with 32samples, but just keep an "extra" to avoid any glitch.
My PC inWIN10, I7 8700K @ 4,7 Ghz.

Logic has a setting called Low Latency Mode, in the above pic, click general. It is much better when clicked.
Lower your buffer settings as long as you can.
Or right click on your tool bar and add it to it there. I use it constantlyScreen Shot 2019-09-30 at 07.47.52.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-30 at 07.47.05.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 07.47.52.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 07.47.52.png
    228.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I think I got it. I recalled that you can use the I/O Utility plugin in Logic. I set it on my reamp track and for Output chose 5 and Inputs 1-2. Hit hit the ping button. That gave me +1146 samples as the latency. In the preferences I set the Recording Latency then to -1146, now everything lines up perfect. I recall too that it was said it's all dependent on your system's load so you may use the utility again and have a different number...joy. My buffer I changed to 128 as the Logic docs state USB connections should be set no lower than 128. I didn't see any difference/improvement in latency when setting to a lower buffer size. Hope this helps.

Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 9.52.13 AM.png

I also have Logic and an Axe III. Reamping is pretty straightforward if you use the USB outputs/inputs. I am also setup for analog (full tilt boogie: a Radial direct box, and a Radial preamp box), but I rarely use it.

Setting up the Axe-FX III as an I/O plugin sounds like a weird application of things.

Perhaps we should start with what you are really trying to do?

Yes - you can use USB outs to record the direct signal (DI) as well as the effected signal. This makes things very simple for re-amping. You simply apply the outputs of your DI track to the USB inputs and setup the AXE to use USB in vice Front in.

I think I got it. I recalled that you can use the I/O Utility plugin in Logic. I set it on my reamp track and for Output chose 5 and Inputs 1-2. Hit hit the ping button. That gave me +1146 samples as the latency. In the preferences I set the Recording Latency then to -1146, now everything lines up perfect. I recall too that it was said it's all dependent on your system's load so you may use the utility again and have a different number...joy. My buffer I changed to 128 as the Logic docs state USB connections should be set no lower than 128. I didn't see any difference/improvement in latency when setting to a lower buffer size. Hope this helps.

View attachment 58677
Nice, you got the offset nailed! Guess it didn’t work too good if you tried +1146 first lol

Back
Top Bottom