Bug? USB reamping - Classic Gate Input 1 source not working properly

Hadean

Hi everyone,

I think I may be encountering a slight issue while trying to reamp with my FM3 through USB (Input 1 Source set to USB (CHANNELS 3/4)).

Actually, I am trying to use a classic gate with the sidechain source set as Input 1 (see picture for reference). For information, it works perfectly fine when I am playing "real time" with my guitar (the gate opens correctly when I play).

Sidechain classic gate usb reamping.PNG

However, once I try to reamp, the gate doesn't seem to open normally and therefore the sound is muted.
After some testing, I can recover the sound if:
  • I bypass the gate ;
  • I change the sidechain source to "Block" ;
  • I lower the threshold by ca. 20 dB, but the reamping becomes more noisy than when I play "real time" ;

While lowering the threshold to -60 dB, I've noticed that the USB was receiving some signal without even playing the DI track (I assume that this might be some parasitic noise).

Sidechain classic gate usb reamping - noise.PNG

Is anyone facing the same issue? Is this a bug with the classic gate or shall we expect the usb level to act quite differently than the analog input?

Thanks for your help!

(Just in case, I'm using Reaper and send DI tracks to my FM3 for reamping that were initially sent by the FM3 to Reaper through USB signal. I haven't modified or changed the volume of those DI tracks. FM3 version is 5.02)

Yes, it will work differently. There is no "input 1" when re-amping. This has been reported as a problem before. Basically, there needs to be a sidechain source that will work in both cases. There are various ways that could be accomplished. For example, it would be better if there was a dedicated sidechain input connection to the block. However, these kinds of workflow problems generally don't get high priority (and your "bug" label will probably be removed by a moderator), so you'll probably have to make do with Block Input or disabling it when re-amping. This also comes up when using the looper at the front of the chain to provide input while you edit the preset.

Yes, it will work differently. There is no "input 1" when re-amping. This has been reported as a problem before. Basically, there needs to be a sidechain source that will work in both cases. There are various ways that could be accomplished. For example, it would be better if there was a dedicated sidechain input connection to the block. However, these kinds of workflow problems generally don't get high priority (and your "bug" label will probably be removed by a moderator), so you'll probably have to make do with Block Input or disabling it when re-amping. This also comes up when using the looper at the front of the chain to provide input while you edit the preset.
Thank you for your prompt reply!

It is a common issue then. Even if it's not dramatic, I hope it will be solved soon - as using the input 1 appears quite useful sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom