USB Problem?

Marduk33

I got my (new) Axe iii recently along with a7x studio monitors and it seems when using the USB to my computer the sound will stop working after 5-30minutes. The guitar still gives sound. To fix it i have to reboot the Axe.

Ive read some threads about this but a power conditioner seems overkill?

The USB cable came with the Axe but it wiggles alot in the Axe Usb port.
Also noticed a different USB cable wiggles alot in my old Katana but that works there.

So might a high quality USB cable fix the issue? Change usb port in computer?

I only have 1meter XLR cables from axe to studio monitors. In between them is the laptop and the Axe (if this makes a difference having them so close, 1.2meters from middle of monitor to monitor).
Got a polytune and guitar connected to the Axe too.

Not sure about the wiggling, that sounds unusual. All cables should fit snugly. Second the suggestion to try a different cable.

It's a computer based issue somewhere in the usb port. Power conditioner reduces the source - spike signals in grounding circuit - but doen't prevent 100%. For me my conditioner (I already owned a Furmann) brought the too frequent times this issue occurs down to 'occasionally'. In those cases I disconnect the usb cable, hit play, see playing resume on screen pc, and reconnect the usb cable: problem solved (for the time being). Buying a better pc/laptop would probably be a definite solution but hey, I'm Dutch 😀 and use this set up only at home. So no life/live risk in this.
The power conditioner by the way also protects my system (AF3, FC12, guitar wireless, iem wireless). Which is another important (see Dutch) reason for me to use it.

for me having a powered desk connection instead of a spikeguard with multiple connections solved the issue. now it rarely drops and if it does its after many hours versus earlier where me switching some other stuff on or off would lead me to lose audio.
Make sure the cable, is not moving on the pc's side and keep it tightly in place. Sometimes even if it moves alot connection can get lost for a second and when it re establishes pc audio is gone.

Do you have the latest driver? You can download it from the forum (Assuming you are on PC)

It seems so cant find any through windows update, and have 1.10 firmware for axe, is there others?

Tried 2 cables so far, the one i got with the axe was wigglier. Neither works for a longer time though.

In my experience virtually all USB issues are cable related.

Hopefully i can find something cheaper than 100 euros to try out, other ones seems to be in the 12eu pricerange.

It's a computer based issue somewhere in the usb port. Power conditioner reduces the source - spike signals in grounding circuit - but doen't prevent 100%. For me my conditioner (I already owned a Furmann) brought the too frequent times this issue occurs down to 'occasionally'. In those cases I disconnect the usb cable, hit play, see playing resume on screen pc, and reconnect the usb cable: problem solved (for the time being). Buying a better pc/laptop would probably be a definite solution but hey, I'm Dutch 😀 and use this set up only at home. So no life/live risk in this.
The power conditioner by the way also protects my system (AF3, FC12, guitar wireless, iem wireless). Which is another important (see Dutch) reason for me to use it.

Living in Sweden, in apartment, hm. Would a 60euro one suffice? Now if its neccessary for me i dont know 😁

for me having a powered desk connection instead of a spikeguard with multiple connections solved the issue. now it rarely drops and if it does its after many hours versus earlier where me switching some other stuff on or off would lead me to lose audio.
Make sure the cable, is not moving on the pc's side and keep it tightly in place. Sometimes even if it moves alot connection can get lost for a second and when it re establishes pc audio is gone.

Powered desk connection? Ill have to google that.
Is there a way or program that measure if theres a drop in USB connection?

I tried wiggle the cable around softly in the computer port and the FX port but didnt interrupt sound

The Windows drivers don't come with the hardware. You might be looking at the Axe Fx III driver and getting confused. I almost mentioned that.

You want this:

View attachment 92471

Oh sorry i have that one too.

Hm.
  • preferred asio buffer size 512 samples
  • safe mode checked
  • sample rate 48000 hz
  • input latency 584 samples 12.17ms
  • output latency 684 samples 13.50ms
  • asio not active

Removing safe mode decrease output latency to 8.50ms and 408 samples.

No idea what this is but does it seem normal?

Trying a second high quality cable is usually first and easiest step in fixing an issue like this, I have also found third party HD audio drivers like Nvidia, Realtek can cause all kinds of weird issues, as well as windows in general if you just have a lot of devices attached and long uptime between reboots on your system all kinda of weird issues can arise.

Trying a second high quality cable is usually first and easiest step in fixing an issue like this, I have also found third party HD audio drivers like Nvidia, Realtek can cause all kinds of weird issues, as well as windows in general if you just have a lot of devices attached and long uptime between reboots on your system all kinda of weird issues can arise.

The "hq" usb cables i find are 10eu, seems too cheap? Next range is 60eu-150eu.
Any tip on hq usb cables? Might have to order overseas.

Yea that reminds me, some realtek stuff made classic wow give me big latency lags.

Yea that reminds me, some realtek stuff made classic wow give me big latency lags.
Just don't buy something "cheap"... Spend more than a few bucks and you should be fine.

You should be fine with a 20+ EUR cable from Amazon. No need to pay silly money like 100EUR.

Back
Top Bottom