USB outputs 7/8 [solved]

josephyballew

Inspired
I was looking at my inputs and outputs under USB in my DAW. My inputs are 1-8 but my outputs are only 1-6. I was looking at the outputs in the manual and outputs 7/8 is USB in with no processing. I know 5/6 is used for Reamping and those are used to process everything again. I get tonematch to work well when using Analog and Outputs 1/2, but it appears that I need output 7/8 to keep everything USB. USB 7/8 output does not show up on my Daw. Is this normal?

Which DAW and OS?

In Reaper for example, I have to choose the range of inputs and outputs I want to use in the audio devices preferences. So most likely you don't have all of the range selected.

Which DAW and OS?

In Reaper for example, I have to choose the range of inputs and outputs I want to use in the audio devices preferences. So most likely you don't have all of the range selected.
I have all the ranges selected but output 7/8 is not there. Input 7/8 is but not output 7/8. I have 28 years experience with DAWs and this is not my first rodeo.. My next questions with everyone is pull up your DAW and look and see if you have an output 7/8. If this is yes, then I need someone with Sonar to do the same. I am just trying to figure out if it is with everyone or just Sonar.

From my understanding from the manual, the only outputs that go to USB is 5/6 and 7/8. 5/6 is for reamping and all is processed through all the amps and things and 7/8 do not. I do not have access to 7/8 because it does not show up. I am thinking we need a USB driver update.Sonar.jpg

I was curious and installed the free version of Sonar (now that it's free).

@josephyballew it looks like you are using WASAPI, not ASIO.
Go to "Playback and Recording", change the driver mode to ASIO and hit apply. After that you'll see all of the inputs and outputs.

I had the driver set to ASIO and it changed to MME. When I switched back to ASIO Output 7/8 suddenly appeared. I guess everytime I boot up Sonar I will have to change it to ASIO. It is going to MME by default for some reason. Thanks, this did solve the problem. I just don't know why it would change what I had set the driver for.

From my understanding from the manual, the only outputs that go to USB is 5/6 and 7/8. 5/6 is for reamping and all is processed through all the amps and things and 7/8 do not.

Yeah just to clarify there's 2 ways to re-amp. Both assume you have already captured a DI track using Input 5 (or 5+6).

First way is, you set the output of that DAW track to Output 5+6. This will send the output to the IN block in the Axe-Fx III. However you must then go to Setup->I/O->Audio page and select Input 1 Source: USB.

The second way is to Introduce an IN USB block in your preset manually (either replacing the current IN block or maybe attaching it in parallel, up to you really how you hook it up in the chain). This block receives its data from Output 7+8. The difference is you don't need to configure anything on the setup page.

Yeah just to clarify there's 2 ways to re-amp. Both assume you have already captured a DI track using Input 5 (or 5+6).

First way is, you set the output of that DAW track to Output 5+6. This will send the output to the IN block in the Axe-Fx III. However you must then go to Setup->I/O->Audio page and select Input 1 Source: USB.

The second way is to Introduce an IN USB block in your preset manually (either replacing the current IN block or maybe attaching it in parallel, up to you really how you hook it up in the chain). This block receives its data from Output 7+8. The difference is you don't need to configure anything on the setup page.
I have had no problems with reamping, it was tonematching. Before, it would only allow me to send output 5/6 to the tonematch block but that was double amping things and just a bunch noise. I went to the manual and it stated that only output 7/8 output is USB INPUT not going through all the processing. All my problems solved. I changed it to ASIO and never went back. I don't know how it got changed. It is staying there now.

I was curious and installed the free version of Sonar (now that it's free).

@josephyballew it looks like you are using WASAPI, not ASIO.
Go to "Playback and Recording", change the driver mode to ASIO and hit apply. After that you'll see all of the inputs and outputs.

Damn, that's some sweet goodwill community tech support. A+ @AlbertA

Back
Top Bottom