USB output level adjustment

Rublalup

Inspired
Hello and thanks I’m advance for any help.

Our drummer is the one in charge of Mixing and production in our band... he’s been insisting that the tracks I send him are too hot ... even the dry signal from usb 3!

I tried lowering (even to -20db) on the output block and he says it still hot... I’ve told him to f** off but maybe I’m making some mistake here... Is there any other level adjustment for the usb?

I record on reaper and don’t play metal... Classic rock, passive pickups...

Thanks for any help

Edit: levels on reaper track shows -18 dB max on the most extremely hard picking... that seems normal, isn’t it? However when I render the track and send it he keeps saying is hot (+21 dB)

Unless it’s clipping, there’s no such thing as “too hot” in a digital audio file. It sounds like he’s confused. Insert your own drummer joke here.

Thanks. But is there any way to adjust the usb output level?

I have looked for this as well as some of my plugins can't get enough input signal. If your USB send is attached to a block you can crank the block level as one option.

Thanks. But is there any way to adjust the usb output level?

That doesn’t really make sense. If you need to adjust that, then there is something wrong with the output level of your preset. In other words, your presets should all produce audio at an appropriate level for recording. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

That doesn’t really make sense. If you need to adjust that, then there is something wrong with the output level of your preset. In other words, your presets should all produce audio at an appropriate level for recording. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Let’s say I want to send to foh a 0db signal but at the same time want to record via usb and send a -6db signal to the daw.

Your presets should always be outputting the desired level for recording via usb. In your case -6db. Are you saying you want to add 6db to that signal before your D/A conversion to FOH? That would almost certainly cause digital clipping. If instead you're saying you want to add 6db to that after the D/A conversion...well that's what the FOH mixer is for. If you've set the preset level correctly and you've set the output jack level correctly, you are now sending a good level to FOH. The only place that level should be adjusted is at the FOH mixer.

Thanks Glenn. It’s just a confusion with the guy doing the mix.

Would you say that the factory presets are good to go “level wise” to record? Or would that signal (as is) be too much for the daw (reaper)?

Hello and thanks I’m advance for any help.

Our drummer is the one in charge of Mixing and production in our band... he’s been insisting that the tracks I send him are too hot ... even the dry signal from usb 3!

I tried lowering (even to -20db) on the output block and he says it still hot... I’ve told him to f** off but maybe I’m making some mistake here... Is there any other level adjustment for the usb?

I record on reaper and don’t play metal... Classic rock, passive pickups...

Thanks for any help

Edit: levels on reaper track shows -18 dB max on the most extremely hard picking... that seems normal, isn’t it? However when I render the track and send it he keeps saying is hot (+21 dB)
Hey Make sure that when you RENDER in Reaper to send to your drummer that it is not Normalizing the Audio file. Should just be Exporting the file as is and not raising the level. If you say inside Reaper that its hitting -18 but when you render its too hot that's what I am thinking is happening

Thanks a lot Larry. I dont see any "normalize" audio file option... any clues where it can be?

pd: love your work!
Hey. Thank you. Hmmm it’s strange that if it’s going in and being recorded at -18 but when your exporting it’s coming out loud especially the usb dry guitar for revamping. I’m not sure what’s going on. Wish I could help

Try recording something in Reaper that comes from a different source. For example a test sample from your pc or a virtual instrument. Send that to him and see what the level is. This should help narrow things down a bit by determining if it is an FM3 issue or a Reaper issue.

Back
Top Bottom