USB noise

So having the power of the computer and the Axe on a separate strip causes the ground loop?
AFAIK, it's having both on separate power circuits. There is a minimal amount of ground loop involved in having two separate power strips on the same outlet.

Just got this working, too. After you select axe fx in, deselect the grayed out "built in output". That will disappear, but another "built in output" should still be in the list of devices. Select it, check "resample" next to axe in. Once you enable software monitoring in logic you should be good to go.

Do you mean to do that in the Audio Midi setup or actually in Logic?? heres what i did: went to audio midi and created a new device called AXE FX II and added both AXE FX II OUT and AXE FX II IN. Then when i go to logic under pref>audio under Core Audio>Device i select the AXE FX II. That makes it work with the axe fx but i cant seem to be able to monitor it through my mac speakers..

EDIT:

Well this is crazy but the reason for the miss communication was because i was using Logic Express. Logic Express only lets you select a single core audio device! so it doesnt have a seperate Input and output selection! So it was only showing axe fx out!

Last edited:
The steps in my last post were for within audio midi setup. I have logic pro and it also only allows you to select a single core audio device. That's why a composite device under audio midi settings is necessary. It's definitely possible to get it to monitor through your USB speakers.

Do you mean to do that in the Audio Midi setup or actually in Logic?? heres what i did: went to audio midi and created a new device called AXE FX II and added both AXE FX II OUT and AXE FX II IN. Then when i go to logic under pref>audio under Core Audio>Device i select the AXE FX II. That makes it work with the axe fx but i cant seem to be able to monitor it through my mac speakers..

EDIT:

Well this is crazy but the reason for the miss communication was because i was using Logic Express. Logic Express only lets you select a single core audio device! so it doesnt have a seperate Input and output selection! So it was only showing axe fx out!

This is a galvanic isolator that is suppose to isolate the power as well in a small package for a decent price that i found. I found that it got rid of quite a bit of the sound, but there was still some residual sounds that i was still getting that i believ was traveling down from my power cable from my furman p 1800 pf r, which is suppose to give me isolated banks. I kind of gave up on the sound problems i have with my lenevo laptop traveling out the usb. I agree with fractal that they made a mistake with the spec usb. It should of at least included some sort of isolation. The problem i found is from what ive researched on these isolators is that they only can go as fast as 12 mbits usb. The isolators wont go as fast as the 480 mbit speed usb 2.0 is capable of. So i dont know if this will be a problem with the axe usb or not.

USB Isolator, Galvanic Isolated USB 2.0 - Electronics-shop.dk

Just got this working, too. After you select axe fx in, deselect the grayed out "built in output". That will disappear, but another "built in output" should still be in the list of devices. Select it, check "resample" next to axe in. Once you enable software monitoring in logic you should be good to go.

Could you please expand on this? For the quote here, what window are you in? Logic or the Apple system preferences. Where is "axe fx in" and "built in output" in your quote? Thx!

Could you please expand on this? For the quote here, what window are you in? Logic or the Apple system preferences. Where is "axe fx in" and "built in output" in your quote? Thx!

Yes, sorry. I was referring to the "audio midi setup" utility, which allows you to mix and match audio sources (and midi, of course). You can find it in applications/utilities

For Mac users: How to combine multiple audio interfaces by creating an aggregate device on Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard

This will show how to create mutliple I/O devices(Aggregate) and use them in Logic or GB or Soundtrack Pro.

I am still having some issues(maybe).

Can someone verify if they can use the AxeII via USB and monitor through say a Duet's speakers or the int speakers without opening Logic and using that. Eg: can't I just choose the AxeII as the INPUT device in my sys prefs/audio and choose my internal MacBook's speakers as the OUT so I can hear the AxeII through the speakers?? I see the IN meter responding but no output to whatever device I choose (Duet or INT speakers) UNLESS I open Logic or GB?

Also can someone check to see if when you do choose the AxeII USB as the IN device in Logic and say the Duet as the OUT device...does the OUT 1 knob on the AxeII make any changes if it is turned?

For Mac users: How to combine multiple audio interfaces by creating an aggregate device on Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard

This will show how to create mutliple I/O devices(Aggregate) and use them in Logic or GB or Soundtrack Pro.

I am still having some issues(maybe).

Can someone verify if they can use the AxeII via USB and monitor through say a Duet's speakers or the int speakers without opening Logic and using that. Eg: can't I just choose the AxeII as the INPUT device in my sys prefs/audio and choose my internal MacBook's speakers as the OUT so I can hear the AxeII through the speakers?? I see the IN meter responding but no output to whatever device I choose (Duet or INT speakers) UNLESS I open Logic or GB?

Also can someone check to see if when you do choose the AxeII USB as the IN device in Logic and say the Duet as the OUT device...does the OUT 1 knob on the AxeII make any changes if it is turned?

The OS will not route the input to the output device on its own. You need a program to perform software monitoring.

I don't have a Duet, but I do have a "One". I'll check.

The OS will not route the input to the output device on its own. You need a program to perform software monitoring.

I don't have a Duet, but I do have a "One". I'll check.

That's what I thought, but I thought I would ask :) Let me know your findings with the One as far as the OUT 1 knob on the AxeII :)

Mark

That's what I thought, but I thought I would ask :) Let me know your findings with the One as far as the OUT 1 knob on the AxeII :)

Mark

Yeah, it would be nice :)

Just tested this. The OUT 1 knob had no effect when I routed the USB axe output through the One. Not sure if that's good news or bad news for your intended setup!

Yeah, it would be nice :)

Just tested this. The OUT 1 knob had no effect when I routed the USB axe output through the One. Not sure if that's good news or bad news for your intended setup!

No that is good, same results here :) Just wanted to verify. Thought I might be doing something wrong.

Mark

I plugged my AXE II to the same power strip my mac mini is on and found that there was no more digital interference noise through the headphone jack on my Duet. My son was sleeping next door so I couldn't test it thru my speakers to see if the noise was there. I did notice that the output knobs on the II didn't control the sound coming from the USB, which makes sense to me.

Just a quick general reply about this issue. This is not an AxeFx issue. I had this same problem when working with a Focusrite Pro 40 and windows audio with no AxeFX in this mix.

-Nate

I used this to get rid of the ground loop for my GSP1101 when connected via USB. Works perfectly:

Keterex: USB-150 Full Speed USB Isolator

My galvanic isolater is only rated at 1000 vrms. I wonder if the one you got which is more expensive and rated at 2000 vrms is what the difference is, and the reason why mine seems to still allow some of the noise from my computers hard drive to pass threw, into my audion interface. I guess it could also have something to do with my interface being a cheap 35 dollor behringer usb interface.

My galvanic isolater is only rated at 1000 vrms. I wonder if the one you got which is more expensive and rated at 2000 vrms is what the difference is, and the reason why mine seems to still allow some of the noise from my computers hard drive to pass threw, into my audion interface.
If you've got 1000 volts of ground loop voltage, you've got bigger problems than dirty audio. :)

Yeah ive tried just about everything. I would like to get a solid state hard drive, but it just seems like after buying rca ground loop isolator, furman pf 1800 fr, and that usb galvanic isolator that it would get rid of the problems with sound, but i can still hear loud noises when the hard drive is moving. Sure wish the solid state drive prices would go down.

Last night I decided to plug the Axe II into a ebtech HumX and it did the trick!!!! No more ground loop. My only issue now is when changing patches using the MFC. I get the scratchy sound for 2 seconds as it transitions to the new preset. I don't plan to change patches when recording via USB so im not that concerned but if any of you have a solution or a thought as to why that is, I would like to try it. Anyway I had a blast playing thru my monitors noise free! I'm still just going thru the presets and loving it more and more!

I have a ebtech hum x as well and i still was having my problem. You would think they could make a labtop with out these issues.

Back
Top Bottom