USB Noise in Monitors

Brad Wilson

Hi guys,
I just got a new Macbook Pro and installed all the Axe FX drivers (Axe FX II mk1). The strangest thing is happening though. Whenever I plug in the USB cable to the computer, I get a ground hum noise from my monitors, even with no signal input from my Axe FX into the interface. I have the Axe FX plugged into a Furman power conditioner. Everything else seems to work fine, it's just bizarre that I'm getting hum from the monitors without any output from the Axe FX going to them. Any ideas? Could it be a power thing in my house? If so, how would you recommend I test it?

For reference here's the setup:
2020 Macbook pro
Focusrite 2i4 1st gen into an Anker powered USB hub (tested directly into the computer and through the hub)
Mackie monitors from Focusrite

Not sure what's happening myself but I just started getting this when I bought my new TV last week. When I plug the HDMI into the TV from my computer I am getting the same noise from my monitors hooked up to the axe fx. The computer is using the axe as it's sound card but I have had other TV and monitors hooked up without this happening. I tried the ground loop switch and nothing changes. I tried moving the HDMI cable away from other power chords and signal chords form my other monitor and it did get quieter so perhaps I need better-insulated cables for my monitors but It still doesn't explain why the new TV makes any difference from the old one. Nothing else has changed.

Perhaps it is a software thing and there is a loop going on somewhere because of the way the computer reads it and this new TV has way more audio settings than my last one but I am stumped.

I have been getting the USB connection thing as well for years on my ACER computer.

I did connect it to another computer and the sound/issue went away so I would suggest trying it on a different computer.

I had just learned to ignore it since I like my older ACER and the other computers are mainly used for recording and video stuff.

However, I just decided to get a used iPad Air 2 and install FracPad on it so that I can use a Yamaha MD-BT01 Bluetooth Wireless Midi Interface into the AX2, AX3, and FM3 for a wireless connection.

Yamaha MD-BT01 Bluetooth Wireless MIDI Interface | Sweetwater

I don't have the iPad yet but I am looking forward to getting this setup to work and avoid the USB sound issue:)

Back
Top Bottom