Bug? USB no input

Kevin Phillips

Hey guys, I've looked all over and can't find anything regarding this...

My Axe FX 2 XL+ has been hooked up to a cab/power amp for a few months and I moved it over to record yesterday and when my main input source is switched to USB I'm not getting any kind of an input from instrument in on the front. In analog I get signal but obviously incorrect sound in my DAW. If I switch my guitar to the rear and switch my main input to the rear my LEDs light up for signal but nothing on the front. It's about to drive me nuts and just trying to figure out if I somehow have something set incorrectly that I've forgotten or if my unit has stopped working correctly. Thank you!

^
your input is set to USB. you want your input to be the Guitar right?
Correct. I haven't recorded in a few months but from what I remember it was running USB straight into Logic X with dry and wet channels. And switching to analog when playing as a live amp.

Correct. I haven't recorded in a few months but from what I remember it was running USB straight into Logic X with dry and wet channels. And switching to analog when playing as a live amp.
changing the Main Input Source to USB makes the USB the source for the Axe Layout. so the computer runs through your preset, not your guitar.

it sounds like you just want to record the guitar. if so, the guitar has to be the Main Input Source since that's what you're recording.

the Axe-Fx already sends the signal - wet and dry - to your computer. you set this in Logic device settings.

basically you don't need to change anything on the Axe-Fx to record via USB.

With main input set to analog I'm getting signal but it delays and then spits out a really nasty synth like tone like it's caught in some sort of loop

With main input set to analog I'm getting signal but it delays and then spits out a really nasty synth like tone like it's caught in some sort of loop
sounds like MONITOR is turned on that channel in your DAW.

you should hear the guitar sound directly out of the Axe, connected to your speakers.

do you have your speakers connected to the Axe?

No, I have the Axe FX set as my DAW input with my audio interface as the output as my monitors stay hooked up to it. Adam A7x's into a Saffire pro 40.

most USB audio interfaces are designed for the speakers to connect directly to it. that's what the Axe-Fx is with the USB cable, a USB interface. then you hear the guitar direct, not going through your computer which may be adding latency to the signal.

i'd suggest connecting the speakers to the Axe as designed, or connecting the output of the Axe with XLR or 1/4" to your other audio interface.

some other people might be able to explain a better way to use 2 audio interfaces at the same time, but that has never worked for me.

It's always worked great for me until yesterday. I had a crazy few months and have been away from music all summer, longest I've ever been out of it. I'm updating Logic and will take a closer look at the settings and my channel strips. It helps to know I was supposed to be on analog, thanks so much for your input!

It's always worked great for me until yesterday. I had a crazy few months and have been away from music all summer, longest I've ever been out of it. I'm updating Logic and will take a closer look at the settings and my channel strips. It helps to know I was supposed to be on analog, thanks so much for your input!
check that Monitor isn't turned on for the Axe channel, as i suggested above. that causes phasing.

So I've gotten this far now... The Axe FX works fine on its own. Once I've got Logic involved it does its crazy thing, with software monitoring on or off. I can record a track and sounds fine through the Axe with headphones but even on playback it's doing the weird synth sounding noise. I haven't changed any parameters.

Back
Top Bottom