USB LEVEL RETURN

juanpmoran

Inspired
Hi everyone!!

With the update update of the FW 18 for the first time i heard about the USB LEVEL RETURN parameter in the i/o menu.

What the heck is it?

Sorry about my ignorance

Good afternoon everyone

It lets you set the return level for audio signals entering the unit via the USB input channel. It was fixed at -6 dB previously IIRC. Now you can scale it to suit your needs. It doesn't do anything if you're not playing audio from your computer, via USB, through the Axe-Fx.

It controls the USB playback level when using the Axe as an audio interface. Allows you to more easily balance backing track levels when recording or jamming with backing tracks via USB.

Will this adjustability alow me to record a " hotter " signal into my DAW using USB + axe as sound card? Ex. I record a track into DAW from axe but it has very little amplitude , but if I raise the level , using amp block level contol to get the amplitude I desire often upon playback through axe it clips the outputs can I now lower the USB level return to prevent this clipping ?

Will this adjustability alow me to record a " hotter " signal into my DAW using USB + axe as sound card? Ex. I record a track into DAW from axe but it has very little amplitude , but if I raise the level , using amp block level contol to get the amplitude I desire often upon playback through axe it clips the outputs can I now lower the USB level return to prevent this clipping ?

if you're solely talking about the Clip lights coming on due to the USB playback, then yes, that's exactly what this control is for.

this new control does NOT affect the signal going to the DAW at all - i'm pretty sure you know this since you're saying you'll increase that level using the Amp block Output Level parameter.

but yes, the Playback volume from the DAW is now controllable with the new USB Return Level parameter.

Thanks for the explanation. Last night I had no idea what this was and was seeking advice on where to set the level (thanks to everyone who chimed in) now with another 18+ hours of other users input/experience through this forum I get it and can say (knowingly) that is a great addition! I was one of the folks bothered with the clipping issues when using my Axe as audio interface. I will definitely check this out tonight.

This is quite logic, a good way to prevent peaking, i use to fight balancing volumes through the output from the preset, the physical output from the axe fx and the master from my DAW. these will keep things easier for everyone and let me focus on playing, THUMBS UP FOR CLIFF,i never thought 6 years ago that the axe fx will reach this level.

So if it was -6dB before, I take it using that value would change nothing? Or are there other factors at play?

Is there a way to assign this to a modifier so that it can be easily controlled and tweaked? If so, this would be THE solution that I have been waiting for!

It affects all USB-playback, so like last night I was trying to play back a VST, and I couldn't hear anything. My DAW routing and everything was fine, there was output......I remembered this parameter, found it was at -60 db, and I turned it to zero. All good, and no clipping.

(( Edited within the interest of the post below. ))

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom