USB Latency Issues

Hi all!

I'm experiencing crazy latency when my Axe Fx III is plugged into my laptop via USB. I've been working at it for a few days now, but I can't figure it out for the life of me. Other people seem to be experiencing latency while trying to record, but this is happening even without my DAW open. Does anyone have any clue what's going on here?

Can you please elaborate on what you mean when you say "latency"?

It's a term that seems to be misused a lot...

How are you monitoring your Axe Fx?

How are things connected?

Is this all presets or only some? If not all, is it any factory presets?

@unix-guy It's possible that I'm using the wrong term. It's essentially an echo. Everything sounds fine as long as I don't have the unit plugged into my laptop via USB, but the second I plug in it sounds like two guitars layered on top of each other with one of them lagging slightly behind.

I have the Axe FX going straight into a pair of studio monitors via XLR and my guitar plugged into the front instrument input.

It's happening on all presets.

Latency is when there is a delay in what you hear relatives to what you play (not an additional signal, which is what you seem to be describing).

It sounds like you're describing the typical result of going in to a DAW and hearing both the "local" signal plus the return signal from the DAW.

Is there any sound coming from your computer speakers? Or is it all coming from the monitors?

Without a DAW or something else running on your computer I don't know why the USB would cause that.

Latency is when there is a delay in what you hear relatives to what you play (not an additional signal, which is what you seem to be describing).

It sounds like you're describing the typical result of going in to a DAW and hearing both the "local" signal plus the return signal from the DAW.

Is there any sound coming from your computer speakers? Or is it all coming from the monitors?

Without a DAW or something else running on your computer I don't know why the USB would cause that.
It's all coming from the monitors. I'm not sure if this helps, but I've figured out that it goes away when I change USB Output Mapping from 1/2 -> OUT1, 3/4 ->OUT2 to 1/2-> OUT2, 3/4 -> OUT1. But then I don't get any playback from my computer.

Thanks. I really have no clue what that could be though, because it's happening even with no programs running, DAWs or otherwise.
Is it possible you set the Axe Fx to be your default device for audio input?

My computer sounds playback through mine when connected, but not the sounds from my Axe Fx.

It was set as the default audio input device, but after changing that and rebooting the issue is persisting.

Thanks for your help, anyway. I just sent fractal tech support a message, so hopefully they can figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom