USB latency compensation problem

DLC86

Fractal Fanatic
I have a problem, I'm currently reamping some tracks and I'm using the manual latency correction in cubase to perfectly align the reamped tracks to the original ones.
The problem is that every time I fire up my axe and cubase I need to redo the latency measurement cuz it changes greatly. The first it was 1046 sample, the second time 460, the third time around 800, and so on..
Why is it changing?

PS: to measure the latency I simply put a 1 sample impulse on the daw and send it to the axe via usb input which is directly connected to out1, then I adjust the latency compensation value until the re-recorded impulse is aligned with the original impulse.

I’ve setup my latency compensation in studio one similarly. By sending an impulse and lining up the transients on both tracks.
I haven’t had to change it though. I’m running on a Mac fwiw.
Are you using asio4all by any chance ? I believe that has some issues related to latency reporting etc.

I’ve setup my latency compensation in studio one similarly. By sending an impulse and lining up the transients on both tracks.
I haven’t had to change it though. I’m running on a Mac fwiw.
Are you using asio4all by any chance ? I believe that has some issues related to latency reporting etc.
Nope, I'm using Axe Fx asio driver

I use a value of 200. When I measure it, varies by a few samples from test to test, but nothing like what you're seeing. But since you're using a driver, you must be on windows...I'm on a mac. Also, since you're using a driver, it shouldn't be necessary to manually put in a compensation value. The driver should take care of that for you by reporting the correct value to the DAW. So, that indicates it might be a problem in the driver, but it's hard to say.

Ok, I tried a bunch of times with asio4all and it varies a lot less, in about 10 tries the variation stayed within 30 samples.

Anyway, I just checked on Fractal site and it seems I didn't have the latest version of the driver installed, I'll report back if updating it solves the problem

Installing the latest driver fixed the issue, it is now perfectly aligned every time!

The only thing that makes it change by a few samples is if I go in the I/O settings on the axe and switch back and forth between two settings for the "USB buffer size", but if I leave that setting untouched as usual it is perfect everytime I restart the axe.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Installing the latest driver fixed the issue, it is now perfectly aligned every time!

The only thing that makes it change by a few samples is if I go in the I/O settings on the axe and switch back and forth between two settings for the "USB buffer size", but if I leave that setting untouched as usual it is perfect everytime I restart the axe.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Great :)

Back
Top Bottom