USB In to Out 2 Problem

dweiskopf

Inspired
Hello -

Apologies if this is a newbie question that has been addressed elsewhere (I searched and couldn't find it). I trying to have my computer playback backing tracks to both Out 1 and Out 2 (Out 1 for my headphones/FOH, Out 2 for my FRFR (Mission)) over USB. It works beautifully with Out 1, but I am getting no sound to Out 2. Screenshot of an example preset attached. Any helpful would be hugely appreciated!!

Thank you.

Image 6-7-20 at 11.58 AM.jpg

Your computer audio is on channels 1/2? I don't believe there's any way to route that pass-through audio to output 2. That input usb block uses channels 7/8, so it should work if you route your computer audio to those channels (on a mac, use audio midi setup->speaker configuration).

Thanks. I’m not sure I understand. The computer is passing audio to the Axe III through USB IN block. I am then routing the in block to out 1 (works), and out 2 (doesn’t work).

I suspect you're being misled by what you hear. When you say "computer playback", do you mean a DAW, or do you mean your computer's system audio? Which USB channels are you using for computer output?

I'm pretty sure you're using channels 1/2. I say that because that would explain why you only hear computer audio on output 1. Your preset will only work with channels 7/8. For system audio on a mac, you can do that by using audio midi setup as I described above. On windows, you'll have to use a DAW to reach those channels.

Reactions: ESW
I think that the computer audio goes to either output 1 or output 2, selectable in the setup screens. You can't send to both, at least not currently.

Thanks. My apologies - I think I haven’t been as clear as I could be:
1. The guitar from the Axe works as it should, and can be heard both through out 1 and out 2 simultaneously;
2. The audio mp3 being played on the computer (connected by USB and being played back Through Capo, not through a DAW) can be heard as it should, simultaneously with the guitar through out 1 (headphones currently used to hear out 1), and the volume Knob on the axe works for overall out 1 output, and the volume on the computer works to independently change the volume of the MP3
3. The MP3 cannot be heard through out 2 (connected to power amp and mission frfr), despite as shown in the screenshot USB IN block going to both out 1 and Out 2.

Any ideas? Thanks so much for your help.

1. The guitar from the Axe works as it should, and can be heard both through out 1 and out 2 simultaneously;
2. The audio mp3 being played on the computer (connected by USB and being played back Through Capo, not through a DAW) can be heard as it should, simultaneously with the guitar through out 1 (headphones currently used to hear out 1), and the volume Knob on the axe works for overall out 1 output, and the volume on the computer works to independently change the volume of the MP3
3. The MP3 cannot be heard through out 2 (connected to power amp and mission frfr), despite as shown in the screenshot USB IN block going to both out 1 and Out 2.

The USB In block routes USB Channels 7 and 8 into the grid.

Sorry, but I don't know how else to explain it other than the way I did twice above. Your preset requires audio to be routed to channels 7/8. See my instructions above for how to do that.

the USB sound you're hearing isn't from the USB Block currently. it's from the "hardwired" USB audio coming over USB Out 1 & 2 straight to Out 1. this is why it seems the USB block is sending sound to Out 1 but not Out 2. it's not sending anything currently.

Thanks, Chris. Do you have any suggestions for how to accomplish my goal? (My computer is already set to output to the axe.)

Are you using a Mac? I guess Capo is OSX/iOS only. Apparently there's a way to direct system playback to alternate channels as mentioned above: audio midi setup - speaker configuration. You should see something like this with the Axe-FX appearing in the list.

Send your computer audio to USB Inputs 1&2 to send it to Output 1 L&R. Send it to USB Inputs 3&4 to send it to Output 2 L&R. No need to put anything on the grid for those.

Back
Top Bottom