USB Firmware V 1.14 Release

I've had this happen with both a Caldigit TS3 and TS4 dock. I've tried a few different USB cables to be sure but I know I have a good USB cable now since I can use that one to connect directly to the Macbook Pro and it works via the USB->USB-C adapter.

Funny that @lair also mentioned it stops working when he pauses music - I think it's the same for me. For example, I'll be listening to music step away for a bit, then come back and hit play again but no audio until I do a reboot on the Axe. I do think I've had it happen where it stops working moving between songs but do not remember a time that it has stopped mid-song.

Connected to my TS4, I have:
  • Extreme Pro SSD
  • Nexigo HD Webcam
  • USB eLicenser (for Cubase)
  • Apple watch charger cable
  • Magsafe charger cable
  • Dell U3219Q monitor via USB-C on TS4
  • UA Apollo Twin Quad (normally powered down since I use the Axe)

I wonder if there are any logs I could pull from MacOS when it happens next. It is strange that MacOS still detects the USB device fine and AxeEdit continues to work. Even if I switch to a different audio device and then back to the Axe, it doesn't work. I've tried all sorts of things on the mac (like restarting CoreAudio) but a reboot of the Axe is the only solution. It does seem like the new firmware lasts longer before it stops but I've had it stop 3x today already.
A thought just popped into my head. It's a longshot but I remember in my previous life I was debugging some odd audio behavior on macOS. I discovered that if you exceed your USB bandwidth, macOS will just halt the USB activity on your audio interfaces. Since you've listed a fair amount of usb devices attached to your system, would you mind attempting to recreate this issue with as few as possible usb devices connected to your system? Ideally, just the AXE FX III connected but I see you have a license dongle for Cubase that probably needs to stay connected.

Again, a longshot but I think worth trying.

Thanks!

A thought just popped into my head. It's a longshot but I remember in my previous life I was debugging some odd audio behavior on macOS. I discovered that if you exceed your USB bandwidth, macOS will just halt the USB activity on your audio interfaces. Since you've listed a fair amount of usb devices attached to your system, would you mind attempting to recreate this issue with as few as possible usb devices connected to your system? Ideally, just the AXE FX III connected but I see you have a license dongle for Cubase that probably needs to stay connected.

Again, a longshot but I think worth trying.

Thanks!
I will try and report back! :) One thing that is also tricky is that my monitor is connected to my Caldigit TS4 via USB-C so I'll have to keep that plugged in too but I can disconnect all the other stuff.

I will try and report back! :) One thing that is also tricky is that my monitor is connected to my Caldigit TS4 via USB-C so I'll have to keep that plugged in too but I can disconnect all the other stuff.
Great! If there is anyway you can find a way to use your monitor without usb that would be great. I think you're on a MacBook, right? Is it possible to just use the laptop screen and disconnect your monitor? I don't know the details of your monitor but I would expect it to use a decent amount of USB bandwidth too. I'm not saying you can never use it, but for this test it would be ideal.

Great! If there is anyway you can find a way to use your monitor without usb that would be great. I think you're on a MacBook, right? Is it possible to just use the laptop screen and disconnect your monitor? I don't know the details of your monitor but I would expect it to use a decent amount of USB bandwidth too. I'm not saying you can never use it, but for this test it would be ideal.
👍

Do you have the latest ASIO driver installed? The latest ASIO driver is v5.30. Also, try increasing your ASIO buffer size and/or enabling Safe Mode.
Yes, also tried reinstalling too. Dropouts happen with every buffer size I tried. Changing this also helps temporarily to get sound back

So if i am recording on reaper directly using axe as an interface , do i still need to be worried about latency to be a bit off and need to check the if the parts are perfectly aligned, or i can just record directly without making any offsets.

So if i am recording on reaper directly using axe as an interface , do i still need to be worried about latency to be a bit off and need to check the if the parts are perfectly aligned, or i can just record directly without making any offsets.
In the past, the alignment was way off, so it was important to take steps to correct it. Now, it is quite close, as close as can be reasonably expected when using outboard gear, and any misalignment will be unnoticeable to most people. Do you "need to be worried"? I would say no. Will they be "perfectly aligned"? No, but that would be an unreasonable expectation. If you want perfection though, you can use your DAW preference to dial it in even closer.

… I would expect it to use a decent amount of USB bandwidth too.
Especially if *Edit is attached to the modeler via USB with some graphs updating or progress bars or scrolling text showing the current state, like the editor does when we’re doing backups, restores, adjusting many different blocks, or preset leveling.

@Guitarjon

I downloaded Cubase 12 Pro trial here - took me a while to get situated in the interface since I've been using Reaper for more than a decade - But I was able to generate a click track, route it to Input 7/8 to a loopback preset in the Axe-Fx III and record the output. No offset adjustment needed, other than the 24-32 samples I've mentioned before (https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/usb-firmware-v-1-14-beta-public-beta.185232/#post-2285539) which is minimal.

What offset are you seeing?

cubase-1.14-offset.png

loopback preset
That's a useful measurement, but only in an academic sense, since nobody records like that. For a typical preset, you'll see a larger misalignment, more like a few dozen samples. But that's pretty damn close. Anybody who needs sample accurate alignment should be working ITB, not using outboard gear.

P.S. Use the range tool in Cubase to measure the number of samples :).

That's a useful measurement, but only in an academic sense, since nobody records like that. For a typical preset, you'll see a larger misalignment, more like a few dozen samples. But that's pretty damn close. Anybody who needs sample accurate alignment should be working ITB, not using outboard gear.
Well it's relevant for re-amping, which a quite a few people do. The measurement addresses the part that was fixed by the updated USB firmware in any case. Latency from individual blocks (and A/D, DAC) will remain what it is, not to mention any other external factors (active monitors with DSP, Time-Of-Flight, external pedals, wireless systems).

P.S. Use the range tool in Cubase to measure the number of samples :).
Yeah total newbie to Cubase - I was just curious if it was like other DAWs where you can turn off compensating for ASIO driver reported latency, which would explain the issue - but the only setting I saw was "Adjust Recording Latency" - but that seem to be for only for additional compensation.

Sure, but nobody re-amps with an empty preset :). The point is: when recording or re-amping guitar, a misalignment of something in the neighborhood of 75 samples is both typical and pretty damn good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom