USB Firmware V 1.14 Release

I am still having issues as well but it's less frequent with 1.14. I believe the main firmware (20.04/21.01 beta) has no impact on the USB audio issues.

How are you connecting your Axe to your Macbook? When I connect directly using a USB-C to USB adapter, I do not have issues. When I connect the Axe to my Caldigit TS4 dock with no USB adapter, the audio will drop out occasionally but it is seemingly random. I can go days without an issue and then one day I have issues every few hours. Typically audio drops happen when I have stopped playing music but not always. I've tried various cables and that has no impact. The only way to recover is to reboot the AxeFX.
I am using a USB c to usb cable. Straight in, no adapters or hubs.

When my MacBook (running Monterey 12.6) sleeps with Axe Edit running, it locks up when the laptop wakes up.

Anyone else experiencing this ? I never had it on the previous version of the USB firmware.

Hi guys,

I have like daily USB Audio Interface routing issues with my AXE FX.

Equipment
Windows 10 + Cubase - current stable driver
AXE FX USB 1.14 firmware
2 Inputs
  • one mono guitar
  • another stereo to record vocals and bass via a mixer
2 Outputs
  • 2 Outputs 1/2 stereo for playing AXE FX + playback of windows like youtube or vlc -> goes back into mixer for monitoring
  • 2 Outputs 3/4 stereo sum of cubase - goes back into mixer for monitoring

Usually daily the following happens suddenly AXE FX switches routing it occurs that
  • the 2 outputs 1/2 via USB Interface get routed to -> output 1 and output 3 -> so both left - stereo disappears of course
  • For guitar outputs 1/2 still work
  • for stereo sum of cubase outputs 3/4 still work

When I restart AXE FX all works again.

Anyone an idea, same issue, known bug, or has this been discussed in another thread ?
Thought AXE FX is maybe getting to hot as it runs 14 hours a day .. but now ocurred even like 20 min after booting at the morning..

Greets, Steffen

Hi guys,

I have like daily USB Audio Interface routing issues with my AXE FX.

Equipment
Windows 10 + Cubase - current stable driver
AXE FX USB 1.14 firmware
2 Inputs
  • one mono guitar
  • another stereo to record vocals and bass via a mixer
2 Outputs
  • 2 Outputs 1/2 stereo for playing AXE FX + playback of windows like youtube or vlc -> goes back into mixer for monitoring
  • 2 Outputs 3/4 stereo sum of cubase - goes back into mixer for monitoring

Usually daily the following happens suddenly AXE FX switches routing it occurs that
  • the 2 outputs 1/2 via USB Interface get routed to -> output 1 and output 3 -> so both left - stereo disappears of course
  • For guitar outputs 1/2 still work
  • for stereo sum of cubase outputs 3/4 still work

When I restart AXE FX all works again.

Anyone an idea, same issue, known bug, or has this been discussed in another thread ?
Thought AXE FX is maybe getting to hot as it runs 14 hours a day .. but now ocurred even like 20 min after booting at the morning..

Greets, Steffen
I had this issue since I got mine. Bought a specific cable, problem fixed. Not expensive., but takes forever from china. I have been streaming from my laptop and fiddling with axe-edit for days with no interruption now.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/usb-firmware-v-1-14-release.185295/page-7#post-2338818

I’ve always had massive problems with usb when the Mac sleeps. My MacBook Air is connected to an HDMI monitor via a dock, and it would take ages to recover the connection after a sleep. I would have to basically reboot the monitor and physically unplug and replug the hdmi cable. Only permanent solution was to stop it sleeping. No more issues. I’m not sure if this relevant but I was curious about having to reboot the axe, as it reminded me of having to ‘reboot’ my monitor.

I’ve always had massive problems with usb when the Mac sleeps. My MacBook Air is connected to an HDMI monitor via a dock, and it would take ages to recover the connection after a sleep. I would have to basically reboot the monitor and physically unplug and replug the hdmi cable. Only permanent solution was to stop it sleeping. No more issues. I’m not sure if this relevant but I was curious about having to reboot the axe, as it reminded me of having to ‘reboot’ my monitor.

I can usually sleep my iMac and still have my computer audio route through the axe even if AE drops (it usually does). I am now getting no audio through the axe after sleep after lending the unit. Going to try another USB cable first as that's usually a culprit :)

Something I experienced this weekend for the first time on my iMac, in the middle of recording the track stopped and I got the message in Logic that my MIDI inputs have changed, then the Initializing Audio screen popped up and it asked me if I wanted to switch to my other audio device. I waited a few seconds before doing anything and it automatically did the Initializing Audio thing again and everything went back to normal.

About an hour later it dropped out again, but didn’t come back on it’s own and required a restart of the AxeFX. I tried pulling the USB cable out of the computer and plugging it back in, but that didn’t do it the trick.

Pretty odd, I’m going on 4 years with the III and it’s never happened before. Haven’t had an issue since then, definitely random.

Something I experienced this weekend for the first time on my iMac, in the middle of recording the track stopped and I got the message in Logic that my MIDI inputs have changed, then the Initializing Audio screen popped up and it asked me if I wanted to switch to my other audio device. I waited a few seconds before doing anything and it automatically did the Initializing Audio thing again and everything went back to normal.

About an hour later it dropped out again, but didn’t come back on it’s own and required a restart of the AxeFX. I tried pulling the USB cable out of the computer and plugging it back in, but that didn’t do it the trick.

Pretty odd, I’m going on 4 years with the III and it’s never happened before. Haven’t had an issue since then, definitely random.
Could be the "USB standby" modus service.. at least on MS Win10 this is often the problem.

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to give you an update on this. After working directly with a few users, it looks like there are 2 issues that I've identified that both result in loss of USB audio output:
  1. USB IN 1 + 2 channels move to other USB IN channels on the meters page
  2. The unit completely loses USB connection to the computer
I've made significant progress in resolving issue #1. I usually don't like providing ETAs because of unexpected surprises that can crop up, but I will say that I am close to releasing new firmware that resolves this issue. When that has been released publicly, I will update this thread with that info. I will also begin the task of carrying this fix over to the FM9 as well.

I'm still investigating issue #2 and I will let you know what I find.

Thank you all for your patience!

thank's for you're help! I never saw that some have the problem with the channels moving, I will check that if it happens again to me , since I had all the output meters with no signals, I never checked the other input meters

Back
Top Bottom